Mar 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Ruf suffered a strained left oblique while taking batting practice before the Phillies’ split-squad game in Kissimmee on Thursday afternoon. He was scratched from the lineup and will be evaluated Friday.
As Salisbury notes, this could be a big blow to him making the roster out of spring training. Ruf Ruf is fighting for a bench outfielder/backup first base job with multiple candidates like Bobby Abreu, Tony Gwynn Jr. and John Mayberry Jr.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)