Mar 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Ruf suffered a strained left oblique while taking batting practice before the Phillies’ split-squad game in Kissimmee on Thursday afternoon. He was scratched from the lineup and will be evaluated Friday.
As Salisbury notes, this could be a big blow to him making the roster out of spring training. Ruf Ruf is fighting for a bench outfielder/backup first base job with multiple candidates like Bobby Abreu, Tony Gwynn Jr. and John Mayberry Jr.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 65
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)