Mar 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
Ruf suffered a strained left oblique while taking batting practice before the Phillies’ split-squad game in Kissimmee on Thursday afternoon. He was scratched from the lineup and will be evaluated Friday.
As Salisbury notes, this could be a big blow to him making the roster out of spring training. Ruf Ruf is fighting for a bench outfielder/backup first base job with multiple candidates like Bobby Abreu, Tony Gwynn Jr. and John Mayberry Jr.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (122)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)