Mar 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
J.J. Putz also has previous closing experience and David Hernandez certainly has the raw stuff to pitch the ninth inning, but Reed saved 40 games for the White Sox last season as a 24-year-old and the Diamondbacks gave up a lot to get him in top-100 prospect Matt Davidson.
Looking beyond his big save totals Reed hasn’t actually pitched all that well, posting a 4.17 ERA in 136 career appearances while allowing 13 homers and a .243 batting average in 134 innings. His strikeout rate has been good but not great for a closer and he’s a fly-ball pitcher heading to another home ballpark that boosts homers, although switching to the NL should help.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)