Mar 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
J.J. Putz also has previous closing experience and David Hernandez certainly has the raw stuff to pitch the ninth inning, but Reed saved 40 games for the White Sox last season as a 24-year-old and the Diamondbacks gave up a lot to get him in top-100 prospect Matt Davidson.
Looking beyond his big save totals Reed hasn’t actually pitched all that well, posting a 4.17 ERA in 136 career appearances while allowing 13 homers and a .243 batting average in 134 innings. His strikeout rate has been good but not great for a closer and he’s a fly-ball pitcher heading to another home ballpark that boosts homers, although switching to the NL should help.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 0
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)