Mar 20, 2014, 8:39 PM EST
With Matt Harvey working his way back from Tommy John surgery and Jon Niese likely to be held back for the second series of the regular season due to elbow inflammation, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reported this morning that Dillon Gee will start for the Mets on Opening Day against the Nationals on March 31.
Mets manager Terry Collins isn’t ready to make the assignment official, but based on his comments after today’s Grapefruit League game against the Braves, it would be surprising if he goes with anybody else.
“He’s probably the lead guy because of his success against the Nationals,” Collins said about Gee. “And, to be honest, no disrespect to Bartolo [Colon] or anybody else, but this guy has won more games, I think, for us in three years than anybody on the staff. We’re kind of leaning that way.”
There was some speculation that offseason addition Bartolo Colon or perhaps young right-hander Zack Wheeler would get the nod, but Gee has more seniority with the team than either of them. The 27-year-old is also coming off a very solid season where he posted a 3.62 ERA over a career-high 32 starts. He was at risk of losing his rotation spot in late May, but he rattled off a 2.71 ERA over his final 22 outings.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)