Dodgers P.R. Director: we want to give news out to MLB.com because they’ll spin it the way we want

Mar 20, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT

Pravda

This is likely to anger a lot of folks. Dodgers Public Relations Director Joe Jareck is down in Sydney and had this to say about how teams release news:

Jareck said this about how the team prefers to get its news out: best to publish on its own website, Dodgers.com, because then “we can spin it any way we want. You can tell the (in-house) writer, ‘Here do this’ and they’ll do it”

He has since backtracked and claimed he was talking about minor news and P.R. initiatives, but it wasn’t too strong a backtrack. He admitted he was talking about spinning trades and things too.

Can the MLB.com people be spun? Well, sometimes. As Deadspin’s handling of this notes, MLB.com reporters do work for the league, and they’re likely under the same sorts of pressures anyone is when it comes to reporting on their own company. If you want to hear about the day-to-day, the on-the-field product and feature stories about players, MLB.com is going to be good for you (assuming your team’s MLB.com person is a good one). You don’t go for them if you’re looking for some hearty “this owner is a cheapskate” rhetoric, a takedown of a player or a dismantling of the recent stadium deal.

But this is not some unique feature of MLB.com reporters. Whether it’s an access issue or business dealings or sponsorships or any number of other things, newspapers and television outlets are often just as compromised in reporting on baseball teams. They’re just compromised in other ways than MLB.com. I won’t name names here, but there are some papers where coverage of the local nine puts Pravda to shame, and you know it’s about keeping the reporter in the team’s good graces. There are newspaper editorial boards and networks who, when it comes to large team issues like ownership and stadiums and broadcasting and things, will always be in the team’s camp. And while I’m throwing stones here, allow me to throw one at myself and admit that if there was a big scandal involving NBC or one of its personalities, even if it touched on baseball, you’d not likely get the hottest, sharpest take from me, even if I did try to find a way to deliver the basic facts. That’s business. It applies to baseball writers and commentators no matter who employs them.

As for MLB.com: I have read all of its reporters and writers and have met a great many of them, and I can say that there is a pretty large disparity between the best of the MLB.com-employed reporters and the not-so-good ones. If you’re a not so good one, you’re probably likely to be a bit lazy and just regurgitate press releases and if you do that long enough you’re going to look like a house organ. In many cases, however, — maybe most cases; it just varies by city and team — the MLB.com reporter is just as good if not better than their newspaper counterparts. If I want Tigers skinny, I prefer Jason Beck. Indians: Jordan Bastian. Todd Zolecki with the Phillies is fantastic. Mark Sheldon and the Reds. For commentary Matt Leach and Richard Justice are excellent. This is not an exhaustive list, but just some of them who spring to mind.

All in all, yes, there is probably some truth there. I don’t think it applies as strongly as he thinks it does to Dodgers.com reporter Ken Gurnick who seems to be pretty straightforward when it comes to his reporting, but generally speaking, yes, teams probably do feel safer talking to MLB.com folks because they feel — erroneously or otherwise — that they have some recourse if they don’t like how the story plays. I don’t think that means they’re unreliable or malleable like Jareck says here — my observation is that the MLB.com people do their job pretty damn well and on generally the same footing as their newspaper counterparts — but no, the team isn’t going to be ripped a new one by the MLB.com guy.

I find Jareck’s second comment more interesting:

. . . “I’m of the belief we should give everything to Dodgers.com — there are more eyeballs there. Gone are the days when The Los Angeles Times ruled the city.” He continued, “Very few [media] have that kind of influence anymore. So I’m of the view of giving it to our own website which is double or triple what the readership of the Los Angeles Times is in print and online.”

I like this because (a) he has something of a point here, even if he overstates it; and (b) it’s right in line with something I’ve been saying about news coverage for a long time. Specifically, that “commodity news” — the basic facts of injuries, lineups, trades or anything that the team knows first — is becoming less important for media companies. Teams (and governments and businesses) are increasingly in-housing this stuff and, as such, those who aren’t in-house should focus on non-commodity news and reporting. Don’t tell us what the news nugget is, tell us what it means, why it’s significant or why it’s misleading. Don’t tell us what the player said after the game, tell us what makes the player tick and what he says when he’s not in some guarded environment like a press conference. Let the P.R. savvy teams control what they can control and stake your voice and reputation on the things they cannot.

I hate that Jareck said this the way he did, because it’s likely to lead to a lot of people to become skeptical or disparging with respect to some excellent MLB.com reporters and most of them don’t deserve that. No small amount of this will come from people who work for newspapers who have always, to some degree or another, resented the MLB.com people, have barred them from their professional organizations and who grouse behind MLB.com reporters’ backs about them and their enterprise (yes, I’ve heard this).

But he did say it. And that little downside notwithstanding, there are some pretty important takeaways here about how the media operates in the 21st century and, to some extent, how maybe it should operate.

1. normcash - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:17 PM

This should come under the heading: Well….duh!

2. cur'68 - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Stay where you are , Calcaterra. Someone will there to collect you for re-education shortly.

• historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I’m so tired of his lame anti-commie Cold War agenda. Commie-bater.

• anxovies - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:30 PM

You don’t hate commies? Everybody hates commies.

• historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Eh, it’s been done.

• lanflfan - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:13 PM

George Costanza is muy sympatico to Commies.

3. Jason Lukehart - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I cannot speak to coverage of the other 29 teams, but allow me to second Craig’s praise for MLB.com’s lead Indians reporter, Jordan Bastian, who does good work, both in terms of passing along everything you’d hope a beat writer would have for you, and with providing context and commentary to go with those items.

• historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I second about Jason Beck, who gets pretty good quotes that aren’t the usual bland whatevers. I think he’s pretty fair and his reports are timely. I actually appreciate that he doesn’t try to second-guess DD or get into the rumors too much. He stays pretty factual, in what I’ve read, which is nice.

• janessa31888 - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I third that. Accidentally hit the thumbs down instead of the thumbs up.

4. woodenulykteneau - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM

But can we have that disdain for the folks that write for the team-owned/controlled RSN websites? (MASN, NESN, etc.)

I think we can. Because while Joe Blow of MLB.com may be serving the interests of 30 teams, Fred McFluffer of [RSN].com has to answer to one.

5. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM

At least we have Ken Gurnick. All is fair and intellectually honest.

Wait, what?

6. jkcalhoun - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I don’t understand why Jareck didn’t give the story about the way they like to spin stories to MLB.com so that he could have spun it.

7. chill1184 - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Wait you mean there are shills, hacks and cheerleaders in the sports media? Say it isn’t so!

8. Professor Fate - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I guess I’m in the un-angered minority since I don’t look at MLB.com. There are numerous independent outlets to peruse that I trust more than whats generated in-house. In many cases PR doesn’t stand for Public Relations, it’s just the first two letters of “propaganda” capitalized.

• kylewo - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Yeah, Edward Bernays just re-branded it “public relations.”

9. zengreaser - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Craig, the most distressing part of this entire article is your admission that you would compromise whatever journalistic integrity you have because, hey, “that’s business.” PR guys are sleazy by their very own nature; hell it’s a job requirement. But you’re supposed to be a journalist/blogger/reporter/whatever-you-call-it. There used to be a code of ethics associated with that kind of job. But it’s not just you. Most “reporters” take the same approach. At the end of the day, you are all PR guys to one extent or another.

10. lazlosother - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Leave it to Craig to defend PED users – Properly Elucidated Dispatches. Stop defending A-Rod Craig.

11. chip56 - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM

All reporters do this and I’m glad that Craig is willing to admit that he would be just as guilty as the next guy.

I used to work for a cigar magazine and was asked to write an editorial saying that it was an overblown myth that the tobacco industry marketed to kids. Of course I wrote the article, because that was my job, and when the issue came out, the facing page had an ad for bubble-gum flavored rolling paper.

• Reflex - Mar 22, 2014 at 1:29 AM

I’d like to believe I would quit before writing an article like that. But one never knows what one will do when the choices are writing such an article and making the next mortgage payment on the house.

All the trade deadline news to know