Great Moments in Base Running: Australian runner gunned down by Puig

Mar 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Fun stuff from that Dodgers-Australia game this morning:

Yes, that was a strong throw from Puig. But I feel like this is way more on the Australian third base coach than on Puig’s cannon. I mean, a hot shot on what everyone says is a fast track is fielded by a strong-armed right fielder about 50 feet short of the grass line? On the run? And you send a dude named “Walker?” I feel like this play was decided pretty early on in its development.

Anyway, if you can’t tell, I’m kind of excited by baseball being back. Even if it’s an international exhibition a gabillion miles away airing at 4am.

As for the game: the Dodgers beat team Australia 4-2, thanks in part to this play and thanks much more to Puig’s two-run homer in the eighth which tied the game up. The winning run was scored by Chone Figgins who walked, took third on an error and then came home on a passed ball.

1. cur'68 - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Wasn’t even close. Puig’s probably not the guy you try that on. In fact, any MLB RF-er probably nails the runner on that one. Poor decision to send the runner.

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Australia knows they don’t have the talent of a MLB team. My guess is the reason they sent the runner was out of the slim hope that the ball would have been thrown off-target at home.

• cur'68 - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Maybe so. In fact, quite likely. With few scoring opportunities you have to go for what you can get. I still think its pretty foolish to go. Puig wasn’t really stressed with that throw.

• historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Can we make “Australia knows” a thing?

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM

@historiophiliac,

Sure, if you want to. We’ll give you credit for the new slogan. Incorporate it into your future posts. I’m sure it will sell like hotcakes.

• historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I think the credit would go to you then, since it’s kind of from your post. It would be funny to think of it as my indirect tribute to halladaysbiceps.

• qcubed3 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Those aren’t thumbs down but a bunch of thumbs up from down under . . .

• historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM

They thumb from a land down under…

• spudchukar - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Hey on the bright side for Puig and the Dodgers, the throw was to the correct base. Puig’s last two throws in the LA’s loss in the NLCS if my memory serves me correct weren’t so prudent.

As to the ongoing bromance between Craig and Puig, I am going to go with “Yasiterra”. I have tried the other combinations and they don’t have the same ring. So from now on any defense, championing, and/or hyping be it deserved or invented by our Blogger-in-Chief can go by that moniker.

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Problem is they sent the Walker, not the runner.

2. thetxhammer - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM

You’re not going to hold the runner when you know you’re not going to have many guys rounding third.

On another note, according to our newly implemented plate blocking rules he was safe.

• wonkypenguin - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I’m pretty sure the catcher can block the plate if he has the ball.

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM

The catcher didn’t attempt to block the plate. He was to the right side of home and went to his left to apply the tag.

• cur'68 - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:13 AM

No. He moved into the runners path to tag him, not block him. What’ more he had the ball roughly 4 hours before the runner even got close (THAT’S how ill advised the play was).

3. sfm073 - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Glad to see puig was actually the guy who made the out this time.

4. kalinedrive - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:24 AM

It wasn’t close, and it was a fairly short throw, but in general I think major league coaches don’t send runners often enough, because many (I dare say most) throws ARE offline quite a bit. I have seen some horrible throws by major league outfielders, and while this situation wasn’t an optimal “test him” situation, I am in favor of making the defense make a good play when it would be close, because a throw five feet up the line can easily allow a run to score many times.

5. rollinghighwayblues - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM

“The winning run was scored by Chone Figgins who walked, took third on an error and then came home on a passed ball.”

It seems that’s the most contribution Figgins has provided the last few years…and they were all freebies.

• NatsLady - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM

How’d he get to second?

• rollinghighwayblues - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM

After Figgins walked: “Mike Baxter reaches on a fielding error by second baseman Logan Wade. Chone Figgins to 3rd. “

• historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Congrats on returning the smackdown today.

6. temporarilyexiled - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Having seen quite a few of his throws, I’m saying his arm is the best I’ve seen in a very long time. Giants fan that I am, may he continue to grow and use his talents to become truly great at baseball.

7. jm91rs - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I guess they’re following the no-home plate collisions down there?

8. pinkfloydprism - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM

That is the best name for someone who just got gunned out at home. Walker…lol.

9. caland13 - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Anybody else notice how empty that place looked? Why send an MLB team to exhibition in Australia, for about 250 cricket fans? Meh Nice toss, Yaisel.

10. thetxhammer - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I’m an idiot, bc he caught the ball so friggen early I forgot he even had the ball by the time the tag was applied.

11. lanflfan - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Vin Scully’s classic line “and the runner is out from me to you” seems very appropriate for this game and situation.

Any MLB coach who sends that runner in that situation during the regular season should be fired on the spot, but in an exhibition game I understand why.

12. pixteca - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM

DAT ARM.

13. kevinbnyc - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:19 PM

He missed the cutoff man by a MILE.

14. stlouis1baseball - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Hahaha!
    “They thumb from the land down under.”

Well done Philiac. Golf clap!

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3774)