Mar 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Fun stuff from that Dodgers-Australia game this morning:
Yes, that was a strong throw from Puig. But I feel like this is way more on the Australian third base coach than on Puig’s cannon. I mean, a hot shot on what everyone says is a fast track is fielded by a strong-armed right fielder about 50 feet short of the grass line? On the run? And you send a dude named “Walker?” I feel like this play was decided pretty early on in its development.
Anyway, if you can’t tell, I’m kind of excited by baseball being back. Even if it’s an international exhibition a gabillion miles away airing at 4am.
As for the game: the Dodgers beat team Australia 4-2, thanks in part to this play and thanks much more to Puig’s two-run homer in the eighth which tied the game up. The winning run was scored by Chone Figgins who walked, took third on an error and then came home on a passed ball.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)