Mar 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Fun stuff from that Dodgers-Australia game this morning:
Yes, that was a strong throw from Puig. But I feel like this is way more on the Australian third base coach than on Puig’s cannon. I mean, a hot shot on what everyone says is a fast track is fielded by a strong-armed right fielder about 50 feet short of the grass line? On the run? And you send a dude named “Walker?” I feel like this play was decided pretty early on in its development.
Anyway, if you can’t tell, I’m kind of excited by baseball being back. Even if it’s an international exhibition a gabillion miles away airing at 4am.
As for the game: the Dodgers beat team Australia 4-2, thanks in part to this play and thanks much more to Puig’s two-run homer in the eighth which tied the game up. The winning run was scored by Chone Figgins who walked, took third on an error and then came home on a passed ball.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)