Mar 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Fun stuff from that Dodgers-Australia game this morning:
Yes, that was a strong throw from Puig. But I feel like this is way more on the Australian third base coach than on Puig’s cannon. I mean, a hot shot on what everyone says is a fast track is fielded by a strong-armed right fielder about 50 feet short of the grass line? On the run? And you send a dude named “Walker?” I feel like this play was decided pretty early on in its development.
Anyway, if you can’t tell, I’m kind of excited by baseball being back. Even if it’s an international exhibition a gabillion miles away airing at 4am.
As for the game: the Dodgers beat team Australia 4-2, thanks in part to this play and thanks much more to Puig’s two-run homer in the eighth which tied the game up. The winning run was scored by Chone Figgins who walked, took third on an error and then came home on a passed ball.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 43
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (75)