Mar 20, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
This is basically the blog post I was born to write.
Major League Baseball is partnering with the dating website Match.com for fan pages that “allow the website’s users to connect with singles who are fans of particular clubs.”
In other words, I could go on Match.com and find all the female Twins fans and then we could go on a date to Target Field and be really sad about how horrible our team is. I specialize in sad dates anyway, so I might actually give it a try.
Here’s a quote from MLB Advanced Media executive vice president of revenue Noah Garden:
The Match.com conversation is one we’ve had on and off over the years to see if there’s something we could do together. The idea is put like people together with similar interest and passion. There’s still always room for more butts in the seats.
So it’s mostly another way for MLB to sell people tickets online, but still.
I’m sure plenty of people would want to date someone with the same favorite team, but I’ll bet even more people would want to date someone who doesn’t like their favorite team’s rival. So a way for, say, a Red Sox fan to rule out Yankees fans or a Brewers fan to rule out people who don’t drink paint thinner in parking lots before games might be an even better idea.
(Just kidding. I once dated a Brewers fan and she drank relatively little paint thinner on a day-to-day basis.)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 77
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (78)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (73)