MLB partners with Match.com for dating team pages

Mar 20, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT

match-dot-com logo

This is basically the blog post I was born to write.

Major League Baseball is partnering with the dating website Match.com for fan pages that “allow the website’s users to connect with singles who are fans of particular clubs.”

In other words, I could go on Match.com and find all the female Twins fans and then we could go on a date to Target Field and be really sad about how horrible our team is. I specialize in sad dates anyway, so I might actually give it a try.

Here’s a quote from MLB Advanced Media executive vice president of revenue Noah Garden:

The Match.com conversation is one we’ve had on and off over the years to see if there’s something we could do together. The idea is put like people together with similar interest and passion. There’s still always room for more butts in the seats.

So it’s mostly another way for MLB to sell people tickets online, but still.

I’m sure plenty of people would want to date someone with the same favorite team, but I’ll bet even more people would want to date someone who doesn’t like their favorite team’s rival. So a way for, say, a Red Sox fan to rule out Yankees fans or a Brewers fan to rule out people who don’t drink paint thinner in parking lots before games might be an even better idea.

(Just kidding. I once dated a Brewers fan and she drank relatively little paint thinner on a day-to-day basis.)

1. xsherr - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:54 PM

This is pretty awesome.

2. kylewo - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Hilarious first sentence.

• historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Hilarious last sentence.

3. number42is1 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:05 PM

“In other words, I could go on Match.com and find all the female Twins fans…..”

all 4?

• misterpatient - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I encourage you to come out to Target Field on one of their student night promotions.

4. historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I smell a Win-a-date-with-Chipper promotion coming…

5. unlost1 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:28 PM

This is going to backfire and be part of “news of the weird” and Darwin Awards

6. stex52 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Great. Now when I tell my wife I’m checking on MLB.com she will be asking me if I am linking over to the dating pages. Domestic tranquility, goodbye.

7. jcmeyer10 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Gleeman, take em to the Butcher and the Boar and to a Twins game! I once dated a Rockies/Broncos fan. I am dating a Boston sports fan now, things are much better.

8. sandwiches4ever - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Glad my wife isn’t too into baseball, because when the Giants and Packers play during football season, it becomes a direct assault on domestic stability.

She’s a Yankee fan, sort of, by default. If the Brewers weren’t mostly a smoldering tire fire, I imagine there might be more desire for her to follow them.

9. Caught Looking - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

This worked for Will Middlebrooks.

10. themuddychicken - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I noticed this earlier today and wondered if “The Internet” had just used personal information about me to display the add. It’s not hard to determine that I am both single and a baseball fan.

I’m not sure I’d specifically want to look for other Red Sox fans. There are many different kinds of them, and I would have a very difficult time enjoying my time with some of those kinds.

11. onbucky96 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Front Row Amy would say you’re mean. Go Crew!

12. sportsdrenched - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I’ve been married long enough that my only concern here is that someone create a Twitter account to document the hilarity that is sure to come about.

13. chadjones27 - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:22 PM

I thought this was going to somehow be tied into the story of when the Mets asked their female fans to vote for David Wright as cougarlife’s hottest cub.

14. chadjones27 - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Hey, now A-Rod doesn’t have to write his phone number on a baseball and have the ball boy deliver it to the cute chick 10 rows back.

15. offseasonblues - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:30 PM

I clicked the link, selected woman looking for men and the other stuff, and the results? Women. So I get to check out my competition, lol. Let the ACA website designers jokes begin.

16. entitymn - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM

OK, that’s kind of brilliant. A baseball game would be a great first date, so long as both parties are baseball fans. Automatic conversation topics! If they also arrange the tickets, you both just show up, and you know where you are sitting and where they are sitting, and you meet, and if all goes well, you go for a drink or a walk afterwards.

17. moogro - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Baseball fans. Can’t stop ‘em, join ‘em.

18. percychuggs - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Aaron, I went on an OKCupid first date with a girl and we went to a Twins game, in September 2012. The entire thing was awkward, as I attempted to actually talk to her, while she was focused on the game. It got so bad that we both decided to leave the game in the 7th inning, and no surprise, the Twins down by a couple runs.

Of course, the Twins ended up coming back to win the game, and I never heard from the girl again.

• historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM

^^^This is exactly why I would never go to a game for a first date. No offense, but you are trying to talk to her while she’s watching the game. That’s like a 3rd or 4th date plan, I think (you know you like her enough to splurge for good seats to impress her at that point — which says “I’m into you” but you’ve had a few conversations before so you aren’t dying to talk the whole time).

• indaburg - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM

A first date at a ballpark can be lovely with the right person.

What’s with all the talking? Shut up and watch the game. :-)

19. righthandofjustice - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Match.com has been sued many many times over using fraudulent or unauthorized information in their member profiles.

I know MLB is desperate but making such a match with Match doesn’t improve their already bad, RICO-like image.

20. anxovies - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I tried a dating site one time to get a good match for me. I ended up with an irresponsible old broad who drank too much couldn’t remember what she had for breakfast.

21. chill1184 - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:40 PM

My current girlfriend share our love for the Devils, she doesn’t like football or baseball but wears Steelers and Mets stuff out of support for me.

• indaburg - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Not liking baseball is an absolute deal breaker for me.

22. baberuthslegs - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Blog fans… Halladaysbiceps asked me to pass this tweet along:

“I was banned from Hardballtalk because I made fun of online dating by Aaron Gleeman. Please pass this along on HBT.”

• historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Oh, ‘ceps.

23. jyoung1891 - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Should Phillies fans be allowed to breed with one another?

Three legends off to Cooperstown