Quite the “match” down under this morning

Mar 20, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT

The photos we use here at HBT come from Getty and the Associated Press for the most part. We get them from an archive in which the photos appear with captions and descriptions already supplied. They’re usually straightforward. “Joe Shlabotnik fields a ground ball during the Mudville-Hooterville game in Hooterville Stadium on June 5, 2013. Hooterville, Nebraska. (Getty Images).”

The ones coming in from Australia this morning are pretty fun. Take this pic:

source:

Here’s the caption.

source: Getty Images

A baseball “match.” That’s just splendid. We should start using that.

Trivial? Absolutely. But it made me giggle.

1. halladaysbiceps - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Just with the title of this article, I remembered this song immediately and started jamming to it:

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I really love it when music videos act out the lyrics to the song perfectly. God I miss the 80s.

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM

It is awesome. I agree. I miss the 80’s too. It was a great decade for music.

3 greatest inventions ever:

1. Baseball
        2. Beer
        3. Music

2. ch0psuey - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Couple funny nuances in how TheDailytelegraph.com.au describes the “match” in this article as well

• lanflfan - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I love that piece, a blending of baseball, Australian wording and cricket references.

I love that baseball is being highlighted in other countries but I still don’t like the major disruption it causes the two teams.

3. natocoles - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Let us take a relaxed attitude toward work and watch the baseball match. The NY Mets are my favorite squadron.

4. forsch31 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:01 PM

“Match” is pretty much British English word usage for “game”. Always has been. Just like “kit” is their version of “jersey”.

Hey, they invented the language; we just mucked it up.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Actually, kit is more than just the jersey. It rather includes pretty much all of a player’s gear, which he might take to the match in the boot of his car.
      I’ve watched a couple of Aussie baseball matches on the telly over the years, and it is fun to hear them describe things their way.
      And English wasn’t so much invented, as it is kind of a stew with leftovers from myriad other languages, forever growing.

5. moogro - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM

A friendly.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:28 PM

And until the 8th, it was 2-nil.

6. ditto65 - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I would like to visit Hooterville

7. bfunk1978 - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Definitely ready for the friendlies to get underway all around the league. Saturday, yeah, great and all but I’m ready for March 31.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3759)