Mar 20, 2014, 9:59 PM EST
Exact terms of Masterson’s demands aren’t known, but Rosenthal hears that he was believed to be asking for a three-year deal valued at less than the $17.5 million AAV (average annual value) on Homer Bailey‘s recent six-year, $105 million extension with the Reds. The Indians were not receptive to the proposal and talks failed to progress, making it likely that Masterson will try his luck on the free agent market after the season.
Masterson, who turns 29 on Saturday, is coming off a 3.45 ERA and 195/76 K/BB ratio over 193 innings last season. If he can duplicate those numbers this year, he should be in fine position to land a lucrative deal on the open market.
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Indians countered Masterson’s proposal at two years with a team option valued at around $14 million per season.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)