Mar 20, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
Exact terms of Masterson’s demands aren’t known, but Rosenthal hears that he was believed to be asking for a three-year deal valued at less than the $17.5 million AAV (average annual value) on Homer Bailey‘s recent six-year, $105 million extension with the Reds. The Indians were not receptive to the proposal and talks failed to progress, making it likely that Masterson will try his luck on the free agent market after the season.
Masterson, who turns 29 on Saturday, is coming off a 3.45 ERA and 195/76 K/BB ratio over 193 innings last season. If he can duplicate those numbers this year, he should be in fine position to land a lucrative deal on the open market.
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Indians countered Masterson’s proposal at two years with a team option valued at around $14 million per season.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 19
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 109
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 163
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (163)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (109)