Mar 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Ryan hasn’t played in a game since March 4 and tweaked his back warming up yesterday, canceling plans to rejoin the Yankees’ lineup. Ryan and manager Joe Girardi both indicated to Jorge Castillo of the Newark Star Ledger that he’s running out of time to get ready for Opening Day, as he’s totaled just nine plate appearances all spring.
New York acquired Ryan from Seattle in September and then re-signed him to a two-year, $5 million deal, deciding the slick-fielding, poor-hitting veteran was good to have around in case Jeter once again can’t stay healthy.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)