Mar 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Ryan hasn’t played in a game since March 4 and tweaked his back warming up yesterday, canceling plans to rejoin the Yankees’ lineup. Ryan and manager Joe Girardi both indicated to Jorge Castillo of the Newark Star Ledger that he’s running out of time to get ready for Opening Day, as he’s totaled just nine plate appearances all spring.
New York acquired Ryan from Seattle in September and then re-signed him to a two-year, $5 million deal, deciding the slick-fielding, poor-hitting veteran was good to have around in case Jeter once again can’t stay healthy.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 60
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)