Mar 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Ryan hasn’t played in a game since March 4 and tweaked his back warming up yesterday, canceling plans to rejoin the Yankees’ lineup. Ryan and manager Joe Girardi both indicated to Jorge Castillo of the Newark Star Ledger that he’s running out of time to get ready for Opening Day, as he’s totaled just nine plate appearances all spring.
New York acquired Ryan from Seattle in September and then re-signed him to a two-year, $5 million deal, deciding the slick-fielding, poor-hitting veteran was good to have around in case Jeter once again can’t stay healthy.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)