Mar 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
We’re mere hours away from the official start of the regular season, when the Dodgers and Diamondbacks will square off in Australia. The Dodgers have made some last-minute roster decisions which includes 27-year-old Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero making the Opening Day roster.
The Dodgers have placed Matt Kemp, Josh Beckett, and Chad Billingsley on the disabled list retroactive to March 19, per the team’s official Twitter. Dan Haren, Zack Greinke, and Brandon League have been placed under a roster exemption while Carl Crawford has been put on paternity leave, also per the team’s Twitter. Because he has options, the Dodgers optioned catcher Tim Federowicz to Triple-A to keep Drew Butera around as the back-up catcher. Lastly, Joc Pederson, Zach Lee, and Miguel Rojas have also been optioned to the minor leagues.
Justin Turner will start at second base and bat second in the lineup. Guerrero could be used as a pinch-hitter in either of the two games in Australia against the D-Backs. Because he still needs to make some defensive adjustments, Guerrero is likely to report to Triple-A before the Dodgers open up the regular season back in the United States on March 30 in San Diego.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)