Mar 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
We’re mere hours away from the official start of the regular season, when the Dodgers and Diamondbacks will square off in Australia. The Dodgers have made some last-minute roster decisions which includes 27-year-old Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero making the Opening Day roster.
The Dodgers have placed Matt Kemp, Josh Beckett, and Chad Billingsley on the disabled list retroactive to March 19, per the team’s official Twitter. Dan Haren, Zack Greinke, and Brandon League have been placed under a roster exemption while Carl Crawford has been put on paternity leave, also per the team’s Twitter. Because he has options, the Dodgers optioned catcher Tim Federowicz to Triple-A to keep Drew Butera around as the back-up catcher. Lastly, Joc Pederson, Zach Lee, and Miguel Rojas have also been optioned to the minor leagues.
Justin Turner will start at second base and bat second in the lineup. Guerrero could be used as a pinch-hitter in either of the two games in Australia against the D-Backs. Because he still needs to make some defensive adjustments, Guerrero is likely to report to Triple-A before the Dodgers open up the regular season back in the United States on March 30 in San Diego.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 63
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)