Mar 21, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Phillies infielder Freddy Galvis had an abscess removed from his left knee on Wednesday. After the procedure, doctors found a staph infection, but that wasn’t the worst news. CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports that Galvis has come down with Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, more commonly known as MRSA. Simply put, Galvis has an antibiotic-resistant infection.
Galvis will be out indefinitely. GM Ruben Amaro wouldn’t offer a timetable for his return.
“Clearly, his timeframe would be much longer if it’s MRSA,” Amaro said before Galvis’ diagnosis. “I’m not really sure what the timetable would be if it’s just a staph infection.
“But right now, we’re more concerned about his overall health than anything else. We’ll find out a little more about it when they do some more studies today. He’s going to stay in the hospital. He’s doing an IV antibiotic and also some oral antibiotics. Hopefully after these next couple days it’s just oral antibiotics. We’ll see.”
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL dealt with a MRSA outbreak in October. Locker rooms and clubhouses are particularly prone to MRSA outbreaks.
Galvis has become a favorite of manager Ryne Sandberg amid the Jimmy Rollins controversy. He was all but assured a bench spot on the 25-man roster. His absence means that non-roster invitees such as Reid Brignac and Ronny Cedeno have a very real chance to join the team when they break camp.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)