Mar 21, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Phillies infielder Freddy Galvis had an abscess removed from his left knee on Wednesday. After the procedure, doctors found a staph infection, but that wasn’t the worst news. CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports that Galvis has come down with Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, more commonly known as MRSA. Simply put, Galvis has an antibiotic-resistant infection.
Galvis will be out indefinitely. GM Ruben Amaro wouldn’t offer a timetable for his return.
“Clearly, his timeframe would be much longer if it’s MRSA,” Amaro said before Galvis’ diagnosis. “I’m not really sure what the timetable would be if it’s just a staph infection.
“But right now, we’re more concerned about his overall health than anything else. We’ll find out a little more about it when they do some more studies today. He’s going to stay in the hospital. He’s doing an IV antibiotic and also some oral antibiotics. Hopefully after these next couple days it’s just oral antibiotics. We’ll see.”
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL dealt with a MRSA outbreak in October. Locker rooms and clubhouses are particularly prone to MRSA outbreaks.
Galvis has become a favorite of manager Ryne Sandberg amid the Jimmy Rollins controversy. He was all but assured a bench spot on the 25-man roster. His absence means that non-roster invitees such as Reid Brignac and Ronny Cedeno have a very real chance to join the team when they break camp.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 18
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 89
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 98
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 81
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 95
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)