Freddy Galvis out indefinitely with MRSA

Mar 21, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT

freddy galvis getty Getty Images

Phillies infielder Freddy Galvis had an abscess removed from his left knee on Wednesday. After the procedure, doctors found a staph infection, but that wasn’t the worst news. CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports that Galvis has come down with Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, more commonly known as MRSA. Simply put, Galvis has an antibiotic-resistant infection.

Galvis will be out indefinitely. GM Ruben Amaro wouldn’t offer a timetable for his return.

“Clearly, his timeframe would be much longer if it’s MRSA,” Amaro said before Galvis’ diagnosis. “I’m not really sure what the timetable would be if it’s just a staph infection.

“But right now, we’re more concerned about his overall health than anything else. We’ll find out a little more about it when they do some more studies today. He’s going to stay in the hospital. He’s doing an IV antibiotic and also some oral antibiotics. Hopefully after these next couple days it’s just oral antibiotics. We’ll see.”

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL dealt with a MRSA outbreak in October. Locker rooms and clubhouses are particularly prone to MRSA outbreaks.

Galvis has become a favorite of manager Ryne Sandberg amid the Jimmy Rollins controversy. He was all but assured a bench spot on the 25-man roster. His absence means that non-roster invitees such as Reid Brignac and Ronny Cedeno have a very real chance to join the team when they break camp.

1. tfbuckfutter - Mar 21, 2014 at 6:38 PM

“MRSA? Goddammit will you stat nerds stop interfering with my perfect team!?”

• ch0psuey - Mar 21, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Mediated Reverse Stat Accumulation

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Since no one saw it, I am posting it here:

His approach to modern medicine is “put a leech on it and wrap it in one of the oily rags we keep by the radiator.”

2. raysfan1 - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Most staph infections are MRSA nowadays.

• spudchukar - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Good Luck to Galvis, from one who almost died from the ugly bacteria.

• historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:29 PM

So, MRSA is the new staph?

• raysfan1 - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:01 PM

MRSA is staph, but is resistant to many common antibiotics, including all the penicillins.

• biasedhomer - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:10 PM

The more an antibiotic is used on a bacteria, the higher the chance of future strains of that bacteria becoming resistant.

• historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I think everyone missed my joke there.

3. voteforno6 - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Antibiotics continue to be overused…expect to see more of this in the future.

• paperlions - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM

While it is true that antibiotics are overused. Even antibiotic use only when necessary would still result in the proliferation of resistant strains, it just wouldn’t happen as quickly. When you have 7 billion people on earth with so many people travelling globally every day, the ability for resistant strains to be quickly spread is also a problem….plus, people throughout the world are more concentrated than ever in urban centers….such dense populations are play grounds for disease.

• scotttheskeptic - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:25 PM

So, you advocate a Jeffersonian rural/agrarian society, eh…?

• paperlions - Mar 22, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Well, without the rich white guys controlling everything and making money off of slave labor part, sure.

4. djjackson81 - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:10 PM

This is BS I had had MRSA twice actually cause once u have it once your are likey to get it again. It is treated with Antibiotic. There a combo of two Antibiotics they give you that will wipe out the infection. It gets drained of the fluids every other day for like 7-10 days then it’s gone.

• raysfan1 - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:20 PM

That’s generally true for a skin infection. If the abscess extended into the knee joint, then he will be out a while. That would also explain why the need for an IV antibiotic.

• spudchukar - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Jackson is correct about the re-occurrence. But not so much about the other procedures. It might work if you are lucky, but trust me it isn’t as simple as you make it out to be.

• raysfan1 - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:05 PM

The severity ranges widely. I treat simple skin infections all the time–but even those can become severe. I’m glad your obviously much more severe infection was treated successfully.

5. ditto65 - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Philthy Phillies.

• spudchukar - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:20 PM

As one of the most virulent Philadelphia critics, I find this comment offensive. Dude, you have just shown your ignorance.

• ditto65 - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:43 PM

You caught me. My play on “Phightin’ Phils” is actually code for “I hope your knee degenerates into a gangrenous pit of pussey ooze.”

/lighten up

6. phillysports1 - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Dildo 65.

• historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Hey!

• ditto65 - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I see what you did there. You changed my knick name into a sex toy. Clever.

And thank you. Maybe I will get more action, though I am tired as it is.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:57 PM

I’d have gone with Dildo6.5″

But I am almost superhumanly clever.

• ditto65 - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I’m with tbuckfutter, substituting 8.0″ for 6.5″.

7. unclemosesgreen - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Jimmy Rollins gave Galvis a MRSA? That’s cold.

• paperlions - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Manager-resistant Selfish Attitude?

8. kylewo - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Just got over this myself. Had it in my left ear. Absolutely no joke to go through.

9. scotttheskeptic - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Slightly off-topic: article in today’s Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Season Ticket sales are down approximately 7000 from last year. Hope ownership wakes up and sees that Amaro is killing this team in ways other than on the field.

My best wishes to Galvis. Any joint infection is serious, and MRSA is no freekin’ joke.

10. corky2141 - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Is there anyway that the region can cause a more basic staph infection to turn into MRSA. Right now the phillies are down in clearwater, which is basically a suburb of Tampa. Do the phillies use the same medical group as the buccaneers?

All the trade deadline news to know