Mar 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
In camp on a minor-league deal, right-hander David Aardsma was told that he wouldn’t be making the Indians’ bullpen and asked for his release.
Aardsma has struggled to stay healthy since topping 30 saves in back-to-back seasons for the Mariners in 2009 and 2010, logging a total of 41 innings from 2011-2013. He had a 4.31 ERA and 36 strikeouts in 40 innings for the Mets last season, but walked 19 batters and served up seven homers.
Aardsma will probably have to spend some time at Triple-A to convince a team he’s ready to help, but at age 32 getting back to the majors in a middle relief role seems doable.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)