Mar 21, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
On Thursday, it was reported that the Indians and starter Justin Masterson hit an impasse on negotiations for a contract extension. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports heard that Masterson was asking for a three-year deal below Homer Bailey‘s $17.5 million average annual value (thus, less than $52.5 million total). Jon Heyman of CBS Sports heard that the Indians countered with a two-year deal that included a third-year option worth approximately $14 million.
Masterson took the hill on Friday afternoon against the Rockies as a player inexorably headed towards free agency after the season. Or so we thought. After contributing to the team’s 14-3 victory, Masterson said regarding extension talks, “It’s just for right now. There’s still time. The season doesn’t end hopefully until the World Series is over.” The quote comes from MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian.
So, maybe there is hope after all. Masterson, who will start on Opening Day as the undeniable ace of the pitching staff, represents the Indians more than anyone else on their roster and keeping him around shows their fan base that the front office is committed to putting together a competitive roster. Further, the Indians are ill-equipped to handle replacing Masterson and would likely have to go out onto the free agent market and spend more money replacing Masterson than they would by retaining him with a contract extension.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 18
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 3
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 15
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 36
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)