Mar 21, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
On Thursday, it was reported that the Indians and starter Justin Masterson hit an impasse on negotiations for a contract extension. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports heard that Masterson was asking for a three-year deal below Homer Bailey‘s $17.5 million average annual value (thus, less than $52.5 million total). Jon Heyman of CBS Sports heard that the Indians countered with a two-year deal that included a third-year option worth approximately $14 million.
Masterson took the hill on Friday afternoon against the Rockies as a player inexorably headed towards free agency after the season. Or so we thought. After contributing to the team’s 14-3 victory, Masterson said regarding extension talks, “It’s just for right now. There’s still time. The season doesn’t end hopefully until the World Series is over.” The quote comes from MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian.
So, maybe there is hope after all. Masterson, who will start on Opening Day as the undeniable ace of the pitching staff, represents the Indians more than anyone else on their roster and keeping him around shows their fan base that the front office is committed to putting together a competitive roster. Further, the Indians are ill-equipped to handle replacing Masterson and would likely have to go out onto the free agent market and spend more money replacing Masterson than they would by retaining him with a contract extension.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 36
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)