Ortiz, Red Sox to reach an extension “in the next few days”

Mar 21, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT

World Series - Boston Red Sox v St Louis Cardinals - Game Four Getty Images

Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reports that there is “little doubt” the Red Sox will sign David Ortiz to an extension, and an agreement could be announced “in the next few days.”

Ortiz will make $15 million in the final year of his current deal and is reported to want another $15 million for 2015. Which is totally reasonable given his production and importance to the team.

1. proudlycanadian - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Eventually old age will catch up to Ortiz. This might be the year. So far this spring, he is 2 for 32 for a 063 BA. One of those 2 hits was a home run.

• Caught Looking - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Eventually old age catches up with all of us.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

~I am Jack’s poignant quote

• aceshigh11 - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Ah, concern-trolling the Sox already, P.C.?

I don’t mean to go dirtyharry on you, but I’d be more concerned with the Blue Jays if I were you.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:21 AM

You are not going Dirty Harry at all; however, if I was a Red Sox fan, I would be worried about Ortiz.

• jcmeyer10 - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM

He never hits during Spring Training. Talk to me in September if he puts up those numbers.

2. gothapotamus90210 - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I’m more sick of Ortiz than I am of Jimmy Rollins.

3. jcmeyer10 - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Ortiz is a guy you overpay. Even if you keep extending him and pay him way more than market for one extra year who cares.

He has won enough games, sold enough jerseys and endeared enough fans to get an extra year. I would rather pay Ortiz one extra year at 15 million than 4 extra years for Ellsbury.

Plus I think it creates a sense of good faith among stars who take hometown discounts for the Red Sox on the front end.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:26 AM

A reasonable comment. Ortiz deserves to be paid for what he contributed in the past. Given his age though, I would not extend his contract too far into the future.

• pastabelly - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I’m not concerned what they pay him, but if his bat slows down, I wouldn’t mind them sitting him against tough lefties. David has earned every dime the Sox have given him. He and Pedroia have been the heart and soul of this team for quite some time.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

You mean, give his contract the “Jeter Treatment”?

4. thetxhammer - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:50 AM

One of his worst years in Spring Training, he hit .215 then went on to post a 1.000+ OPS. Spring stats mean nothing.

Glad you’re not my GM, you’d clear the farm for Mike Moustakas and Robinson Chirinos.

5. jimmyt - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM

As long as the juice is flowing he will be productive.

• jcmeyer10 - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM

That’s interesting. I didn’t know he really liked Apple juice! That’s one hot take.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Once this is settled, I look forward to the next topic he chooses to publicly complain about.

Seriously though, how can Red Sox management face their fans if they don’t pay Ortiz something close to a market rate?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3275)