Mar 21, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Tanner Scheppers pitched well Friday afternoon, allowing two runs in six innings of work in the Rangers’ 7-5 victory over the Brewers. He started off in hot water, as the Brewers scored two runs with two doubles and a single, but Scheppers induced an inning-ending double play and never looked back. He struck out six and didn’t issue a walk.
Scheppers was one of baseball’s best set-up men last season, posting a 1.88 ERA in 76 2/3 innings. Now he’s attempting to slot into the back of the Rangers’ injury-ravaged starting rotation. Friday afternoon’s start might have sealed the deal. He now has a 3.07 ERA in 14 2/3 Cactus League innings along with 14 strikeouts and four walks. His competition is left-hander Robbie Ross.
Adam J. Morris of SB Nation’s Rangers blog Lone Star ball thinks Scheppers will break camp with the rotation spot in hand, as will Ross, with Matt Harrison (back) and Colby Lewis (elbow and hip) starting the season on the disabled list. The Rangers haven’t given any official word on what they’re doing yet, but they have plenty of bullpen depth and not so much in the rotation, so they can afford to have Scheppers swap roles.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)