Mar 21, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
Romine, 28, will likely take over shortstop for the Tigers in the absence of Jose Iglesias, or at least attempt to. Maybe a platoon is the best option for the lefty. He’s primarily been a utility guy. Last season was the first year in which he had as many as 100 plate appearances in the bigs and he hit .259/.308/.287. His on-base ability was somewhat better in the minors, but most of that came in the high-offense California and Pacific Coast Leagues. There is little reason to believe that he’ll be an effective major league hitter.
His defense is supposed to be pretty good. I’ve not seen him play, but Angels blogs have noted in the past couple of years that he was the best defensive option in the organization who could theoretically serve as a big league bench glove. That’s not going to make up for the loss of Jose Iglesias’ superior defense, but I suppose that’s something.
As for Alvarez, he’s had 14 big league games, all last year, and posted a 5.82 ERA in swingman duties. He started 131 of 175 games in the minor across eight seasons, posting a 55-44 record and a 3.50 ERA while striking out 7.2 per nine innings and walking 2.2.
So, basically: your organizational depth for mine. And another option at shortstop for the Tigers.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)