Mar 21, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
Romine, 28, will likely take over shortstop for the Tigers in the absence of Jose Iglesias, or at least attempt to. Maybe a platoon is the best option for the lefty. He’s primarily been a utility guy. Last season was the first year in which he had as many as 100 plate appearances in the bigs and he hit .259/.308/.287. His on-base ability was somewhat better in the minors, but most of that came in the high-offense California and Pacific Coast Leagues. There is little reason to believe that he’ll be an effective major league hitter.
His defense is supposed to be pretty good. I’ve not seen him play, but Angels blogs have noted in the past couple of years that he was the best defensive option in the organization who could theoretically serve as a big league bench glove. That’s not going to make up for the loss of Jose Iglesias’ superior defense, but I suppose that’s something.
As for Alvarez, he’s had 14 big league games, all last year, and posted a 5.82 ERA in swingman duties. He started 131 of 175 games in the minor across eight seasons, posting a 55-44 record and a 3.50 ERA while striking out 7.2 per nine innings and walking 2.2.
So, basically: your organizational depth for mine. And another option at shortstop for the Tigers.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 7
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)