The Tigers acquire Andrew Romine from the Angels for Jose Alvarez

Mar 21, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT

andrew romine getty Getty Images

The Detroit Tigers have announced they’ve acquired SS Andrew Romine from the Angels in exchange for lefty Jose Alvarez.

Romine, 28, will likely take over shortstop for the Tigers in the absence of Jose Iglesias, or at least attempt to. Maybe a platoon is the best option for the lefty. He’s primarily been a utility guy. Last season was the first year in which he had as many as 100 plate appearances in the bigs and he hit .259/.308/.287. His on-base ability was somewhat better in the minors, but most of that came in the high-offense California and Pacific Coast Leagues. There is little reason to believe that he’ll be an effective major league hitter.

His defense is supposed to be pretty good. I’ve not seen him play, but Angels blogs have noted in the past couple of years that he was the best defensive option in the organization who could theoretically serve as a big league bench glove. That’s not going to make up for the loss of Jose Iglesias’ superior defense, but I suppose that’s something.

As for Alvarez, he’s had 14 big league games, all last year, and posted a 5.82 ERA in swingman duties. He started 131 of 175 games in the minor across eight seasons, posting a 55-44 record and a 3.50 ERA while striking out 7.2 per nine innings and walking 2.2.

So, basically: your organizational depth for mine. And another option at shortstop for the Tigers.

1. gigab0t - Mar 21, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Hmm…ok.

• gigab0t - Mar 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM

My mistake. I should have written “Hmmm…ok?”

2. shaggylocks - Mar 21, 2014 at 2:47 PM

And Stephen Drew get out a bat and smashes the phone he’s been sitting next to.

Then thinks about all the phones he could buy with $14 million.

3. pappageorgio - Mar 21, 2014 at 2:52 PM

This compensation rule has got to go. MLB needs to go to an NFL style compensatory draft pick format. The current situation is not good for anyone.

4. marc0626 - Mar 21, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Don’t like it for tigers part…

• pappageorgio - Mar 21, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I believe in the idea of compensatory draft pick(s) for losing good players…..but losing a first round pick for a player of Drew’s status. It screws clubs and players every year. It should be more of a formula or the way the NFL handles restricted FA, they tier it…..the previous club tiers it’s offer by 1st/2nd/3rd round tenders and allows previous clubs to match a given offer and the offer from the previous club doesn’t go away in the beginning of the FA…there’s time and the tender can be used as a negotiation tool.

It’s a much better way. Previous teams should be compensated, I’m not arguing against that….but this seems to limit player movement every year.

• pappageorgio - Mar 21, 2014 at 6:21 PM

All the thumbs down lead me to ask this:

You’d all rather have a system in place that helps no one? Rather than the tigers and the sox being able to negotiate a deal that was good for everyone? Because if the Tigers and the Sox could agree on 2nd/3rd rd compensation, I’m guessing it would be done by now.

As it stands DD is thinking to himself…..are April and May really worth the 1st rd pick? As is we roll with who we’ve got (or find a better replacement via trade) and sign Drew after June and the Sox get nothing. It’s not like Drew represents such a bump in performance that it will mean much in terms of wins/losses in 2 months.

Good systems get everyone a good deal.

• jrbdmb - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Gotta say I like your idea, let the teams involved negotiate compensation (draft pick or otherwise).

It seems like a lot of people here (and a majority on the NFL board) are rabidly anti-player and pro-owner. Dunno why, since for most of us we are more like the players than the owners.

5. historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM

His WAR is actually the same as what we got from Iglesias last year. He’s a whole lot cheaper though, I’m sure. He has a little more experience. I’m not crazy about it, but I don’t hate it. I kinda hope he does great so I can call him the Big Romine-o. I’m glad this will put the Drew nonsense to bed.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 21, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I might agree with you if the Tiggers had acquired Didi Gregarious or Nick Franklin. But Andrew Romine? He’s not going to put them off the SS chase.

• historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I don’t think they want to spend there. I think they want to stay cheap and ride out LSF’s time on the DL. Plus, now they have to decide what they want to do with Rondon out. They need to spend on the BP again.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM

LSF = little stress fractures?

• historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Booooo!!!!

/throws peanut shells

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:03 PM

That nickname was so bad it caused him to do 36 straight hours on a pogo-stick. You should consider it good & cursed.

6. mikhelb - Mar 21, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I got to watch him regularly two or three years ago in Mexico’s winter league and he couldn’t hit above 0.190 AVG, his OBP was more or less good due to having a good amount of walks (more walks than hits) and his fielding was nothing to write home about it. Has a nice range and cover more ground towards third base than towards second base while playing SS but like Iglesias he has “hands of stone”, dropped too many balls after he fielded them succesfully.

He abandoned the league before the season endedand said he thought the winter league’s level of pitching was very low to his standards… but yet he couldn’t hit (México that year won the Caribbean Series against representatives of Venezuela, Dominicana and Puerto Rico with a marvelous display of pitching and power hitting). He was replaced by Brignac and Reid had a nice run with the team (Mazatlan Deers) helping them get to the playoffs but were quickly eliminated.

At least from what I know by talks with baseball people covering the mexican winter league, Romine constantly was viewed as a cocky spoiled brat.

7. joerymi - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:21 PM

New look Tigers. Defense>Offense…cheap beyond belief.

“Blah” trade for both teams.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win