Tigers reliever Bruce Rondon needs Tommy John surgery

Mar 21, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT

bruce rondon getty Getty Images

Right-hander Bruce Rondon, who was competing for a spot in the Tigers’ bullpen, will miss the entire season following Tommy John elbow surgery.

Rondon was actually in the mix for the closer job last spring training, but instead got sent back to the minors because he couldn’t consistently throw strikes and ended up logging just 29 innings for the Tigers.

He showed a lot of promise upon returning to the big leagues, but missed nearly all of September with an elbow strain that has now proven to be a more serious injury.

Rondon is huge (listed at 275 pounds), throws very hard, and racks up tons of strikeouts, so he’ll remain in the Tigers’ plans even after the missed year. And if all goes well he’ll be competing for a spot in the bullpen again next spring at age 24.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 21, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Man, the Tigers are having a tough spring. Maybe not Atlanta tough, but tough nonetheless.

2. chc4 - Mar 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Dang, I need to get in the TJS business.

3. deweyks - Mar 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM

This from blessyouboys.com :

When asked how he’s holding up under all the injury news, manager Brad Ausmus jokingly said, “I just bought my first pack of Marlboros.”

• historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Ausome.

4. pwshrugged - Mar 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Yep, Zumaya 2.0.

Glad we spent all that money on Joe Nathan instead of spreading it around and making the bullpen as a whole deeper.

5. paperlions - Mar 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I would just like to point out, because people seem to forget this on the rare occasion that it happens, but ALL of the guys getting TJ surgery this spring have been guys that have stayed in their role, either as starters or relievers. Guys do not have to get TJ surgery more often or have arm problems more often because they are moved from the rotation to the pen.

Pitchers break regardless of what they are asked to do. Just remember this the next time that someone tries to blame TJ surgery on a guy moving to the pen or rotation. As an example, the Cardinals have had a LOT of guys go back and forth from the pen to the rotation, who has had TJ surgery the last few years for them? Two starters (Wainwright and Garcia) and a reliever (Motte).

• cktai - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:50 AM

Although I agree with the general sentiment, I feel obligated to point out that Medlen was moved from the rotation to the bullpen in 2012 following his first TJS, so that he could stay active and pitch in the post-season.

6. historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I might be the only one who’s not unhappy about this. He still seems inconsistent to me and one less unreliable dude in the BP doesn’t make me sad….though I don’t know that Reed will be that great of a substitute or Ortega either…hey, Beautiful Brad, can I bum a smoke?

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 21, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Tiggers’ #1 fan from Oklahoma Please with Rondon Injury.

Yes, she can be considered harsh and cruel by some, but dammit, she gets results. Historio stated this p.m. that the Tiggers are better off without Rondon and therefore his damaged UCL is in fact a boon to the club.

This reporter can only imagine what she’s been wishing upon poor Don Kelly.

• historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2014 at 2:36 PM

That somb!tch reporter misquoted me. I never said it was a boon to the club. I never say “boon,” y’all. /sniffs I merely stated that I wasn’t sad to have one less unreliable pitcher around. That is all.

/tucks clover into Kelly voodoo doll sleeve

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 21, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Aus-ome-ness has begun his long, hard journey to Leyland. 20,000 packs of smokes & 100,000 cocktails to go.

• historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2014 at 3:36 PM

This is how it begins.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 21, 2014 at 4:03 PM

People forget – Leyland didn’t start out resembling a gut-shot iguana.

7. unclemosesgreen - Mar 21, 2014 at 2:21 PM

err – Pleased.

/wails and bemoans lack of edit function

8. joerymi - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Well, at least it isn’t a “Guitar Hero” injury. Speaking of which…

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win