Mar 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Vance Worley was the main piece the Twins received in the Ben Revere trade last offseason and then started on Opening Day … and now he’s headed to Triple-A after being placed on waivers and going unclaimed by the other 29 teams.
In between he had a miserable season in which he went 1-5 with a 7.21 ERA for the Twins, wasn’t much better at Triple-A, and missed time with arm problems.
Worley is still just 26 years old and had a 3.50 ERA in 278 innings for the Phillies before the trade, but his raw stuff was always marginal and he’s had elbow issues dating back to late 2012.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)