Mar 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Vance Worley was the main piece the Twins received in the Ben Revere trade last offseason and then started on Opening Day … and now he’s headed to Triple-A after being placed on waivers and going unclaimed by the other 29 teams.
In between he had a miserable season in which he went 1-5 with a 7.21 ERA for the Twins, wasn’t much better at Triple-A, and missed time with arm problems.
Worley is still just 26 years old and had a 3.50 ERA in 278 innings for the Phillies before the trade, but his raw stuff was always marginal and he’s had elbow issues dating back to late 2012.
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 3
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)