Mar 21, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Reds closer Aroldis Chapman was hit in the head by a Salvador Perez line drive on Wednesday night, suffering fractures above his left eye and nose. He underwent surgery on Thursday to repair the fractures and had a metal plate inserted on the bone above his left eye to stabilize the fracture.
Thankfully, Chapman is expected to make a full recovery. In fact, he could resume working out in 10-14 days, and enter game conditions within four to six weeks. That means we could see Chapman back in regular season action some time in June if everything goes according to schedule.
In the meantime, Chapman is in good spirits. He posted a picture to Instragram of the staples he had inserted around his head. Normally, I’d just embed the picture, but if you’re a touch squeamish as I am, you might not want the unexpected sight. So click here if you’d like to see what his head looked like shortly after the surgery.
Chapman captioned the picture with the following caption:
Mi gente todo esta bien gracias a dios ya salimos de todo tipo de problema estoy aquí esperando q me den de alta
According to a Spanish-speaking Redditor, that loosely translates to, “My people, everything is good, thank god. We have already passed all the problems and I am here awaiting my release (from the hospital).”
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 47
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 28
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)