Mar 21, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Reds closer Aroldis Chapman was hit in the head by a Salvador Perez line drive on Wednesday night, suffering fractures above his left eye and nose. He underwent surgery on Thursday to repair the fractures and had a metal plate inserted on the bone above his left eye to stabilize the fracture.
Thankfully, Chapman is expected to make a full recovery. In fact, he could resume working out in 10-14 days, and enter game conditions within four to six weeks. That means we could see Chapman back in regular season action some time in June if everything goes according to schedule.
In the meantime, Chapman is in good spirits. He posted a picture to Instragram of the staples he had inserted around his head. Normally, I’d just embed the picture, but if you’re a touch squeamish as I am, you might not want the unexpected sight. So click here if you’d like to see what his head looked like shortly after the surgery.
Chapman captioned the picture with the following caption:
Mi gente todo esta bien gracias a dios ya salimos de todo tipo de problema estoy aquí esperando q me den de alta
According to a Spanish-speaking Redditor, that loosely translates to, “My people, everything is good, thank god. We have already passed all the problems and I am here awaiting my release (from the hospital).”
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)