Mar 22, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
After dealing outfielder Norichika Aoki to the Royals in December, the Brewers were left without an ideal option for the leadoff spot, but manager Ron Roenicke has settled on his choice.
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Roenicke announced today that Carlos Gomez will hit leadoff to begin the year. Jean Segura, who will now bat No. 2, was under consideration for the role along with Scooter Gennett and Rickie Weeks.
Gomez is coming off a monster campaign in which he hit .284/.338/.506 with 24 home runs, 73 RBI, and 40 stolen bases in 147 games. However, he needed a career-high .344 BABIP (batting average on balls in play) to get there and walked just 6.3 percent of the time while striking out in nearly one-fourth of his trips to the plate. Banking on a comparable follow-up is risky, so the odds are against him being a major asset there. But hey, the Brewers don’t have a perfect option right now.
Jun 2, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
And he’s no longer worried about offense.
Jun 2, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
The Nats’ would-be ace has been anything like it this season and now he’s on the shelf.
Jun 2, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Once among the best all-around players in baseball, Sizemore’s career was wrecked by injuries.
Jun 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Jarrod Saltamacchia has a big opportunity in Arizona now.
Jun 2, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Baseball bat light fixtures. Someone get on that one, pronto.
Jun 2, 2015, 9:03 AM EDT
Jun 2, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
More specifically, the Red Sox are.
Jun 2, 2015, 6:59 AM EDT
Today: lessons in (a) how to call people by their proper name; (b) why you watch an entire game; and (c) how to commit seppuku. Really!
Jun 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Cishek saved 91 games for the Marlins between 2011-2014 while posting a 2.70 ERA, but he has an ugly 6.98 ERA and 17/10 K/BB ratio over 19 1/3 innings so far this season.
Jun 1, 2015, 10:41 PM EDT
While Astros fans are clamoring for top prospect Carlos Correa to take over at shortstop, Marwin Gonzalez is helping keep the seat warm.
Jun 1, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
Yasiel Puig’s first attempt at a minor league rehab assignment was halted about a month ago due to a setback with his left hamstring strain, but he’s starting to ramp things up again.
Jun 1, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
Some fans were speculating about a call-up for top prospect shortstop Carlos Correa after he made an early exit from yesterday’s game with Triple-A Oklahoma City. Well, not so fast.
Jun 1, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Jones sprained his left ankle on a slide into home plate on Thursday night.
Jun 1, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT
Logan Morrison will bat leadoff Monday for the first time in his career.
Jun 1, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Latos has struggled to the tune of a 6.12 ERA across nine starts this season.
Jun 1, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
In the wake of Adrian Beltre’s thumb injury.
Jun 1, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Washington is also without left fielder Jayson Werth.
Jun 1, 2015, 4:40 PM EDT
If he eats a Kit Kat like this, what ELSE is he doing wrong?
Jun 1, 2015, 3:33 PM EDT
Last season Lucroy finished fourth in the MVP balloting.
Jun 1, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
If voting ended today, five Royals would be starting for the A.L. And a sixth is catching up to Miguel Cabrera.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 77
- Rangers call up power-hitting top prospect Joey Gallo 12
- American League All-Star voting update: Royals players still rule the roost 35
- Jose Fernandez cleared for rehab assignment in comeback from Tommy John surgery 10
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 150
- Johnny Cueto to return to Reds’ rotation Tuesday 3
- Khris Davis has a torn meniscus in his right knee 8
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 3
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (87)