Mar 22, 2014, 2:09 PM EST
Jeff Francoeur signed a minor league deal with the Indians over the winter in hopes of earning a spot on the Opening Day roster, but Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that he was cut from the team this morning.
Francoeur was actually pretty productive during Cactus League play, hitting 286/.359/.429 with one home run, two doubles, 10 RBI and a 6/4 K/BB ratio over 39 plate appearances. However, it wasn’t enough to secure a spot on Cleveland’s bench.
Francoeur turned 30 in January and owns an ugly .226/.272/.354 batting line since the start of the 2012 season. As well-liked as he is in the game, he might have to prove himself in the minors to get his next opportunity in the big leagues.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)