Mar 22, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Kris Medlen was originally expected to get the call for the Braves, but he underwent Tommy John surgery earlier this week, leaving Teheran as the obvious choice for the assignment. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez hasn’t officially announced the rest of his rotation, but Alex Wood, Freddy Garcia, and David Hale are the expected names. Ervin Santana could make his season debut on April 9 while Mike Minor should be ready to come off the disabled list by the second half of April.
Teheran, 23, posted a 3.20 ERA and 170/45 K/BB ratio over 185 2/3 innings last season and finished fifth in the NL Rookie of the Year balloting. He agreed to a six-year, $34.2 million extension with the Braves last month.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)