Mar 22, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
The Orioles have claimed infielder David Adams on outright waivers from the Indians, MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports. As a result, the Indians have purchased infielder Elliot Johnson‘s contract and placed him on the 40-man roster. To make room for Adams, the Orioles designated Kelvin de la Cruz for assignment, MASN’s Roch Kubakto reports.
Adams, 26, signed as a free agent with the Indians in December after posting a .537 OPS in 152 plate appearances with the Yankees.
Johnson, 30, hasn’t had better results in four years in the Majors, as he has a career .592 OPS in 806 PA. However, he impressed in the Cactus League, slashing .350/.381/.650 in 40 at-bats.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 1
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)