Mar 22, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
In what has become a theme of late, we could have another pitcher who is headed for his second Tommy John surgery.
According to Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle, Astros reliever Peter Moylan has been diagnosed with a ligament tear in his right elbow. He’s scheduled to have a visit with Dr. James Andrews in the coming weeks, but he’s prepared for the possibility of another surgery and the lengthy rehab process that comes along with it.
“I might be 35, but I don’t have the skill set to say, ‘Oh, you know what, I’m just going to become a Harvard professor,’” Moylan said. “I’m going to continue to do this cause I love it. Every part of this game I love, I love the camaraderie. I love the competitiveness, all that sort of stuff. I’m not ready to stop yet.”
Moylan had his first Tommy John surgery in 2008 with the Braves. The Australia native has been limited to just 35 appearances at the major league level since 2011 due to back and shoulder injuries and was in camp with Houston this spring as a non-roster player. He turns 36 in December.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)