Mar 22, 2014, 8:56 AM EST
In what has become a theme of late, we could have another pitcher who is headed for his second Tommy John surgery.
According to Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle, Astros reliever Peter Moylan has been diagnosed with a ligament tear in his right elbow. He’s scheduled to have a visit with Dr. James Andrews in the coming weeks, but he’s prepared for the possibility of another surgery and the lengthy rehab process that comes along with it.
“I might be 35, but I don’t have the skill set to say, ‘Oh, you know what, I’m just going to become a Harvard professor,’” Moylan said. “I’m going to continue to do this cause I love it. Every part of this game I love, I love the camaraderie. I love the competitiveness, all that sort of stuff. I’m not ready to stop yet.”
Moylan had his first Tommy John surgery in 2008 with the Braves. The Australia native has been limited to just 35 appearances at the major league level since 2011 due to back and shoulder injuries and was in camp with Houston this spring as a non-roster player. He turns 36 in December.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 125
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 216
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (222)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)