Mar 23, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
The A’s are making some final Opening Day roster determinations Sunday in camp and announced to reporters that right-hander Ryan Cook and utility outfielder Craig Gentry are going to need season-opening stints on the 15-day disabled list.
Cook was slowed this spring by shoulder inflammation but should be ready to join the A’s bullpen when first eligible on April 4. He is expected to serve as one of the primary setup men this summer for new Oakland closer Jim Johnson.
Gentry is still recovering from a lower back strain that he suffered in late February. He was acquired from the Rangers this winter via trade and is currently eyeing a mid-April debut.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 82
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)