Mar 23, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
The Rangers have been bitten hard by the injury bug, and they will now add another key player to the infirmary. Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Times reports that Profar has a torn teres major muscle and will be out 10-12 weeks. He does not need to undergo surgery, according to Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Profar, the heir to Ian Kinsler at second base, has had a very rough spring. He dealt with flexor tendinitis in his right arm in early March, then he had to have four wisdom teeth removed two weeks later.
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the Rangers will attempt to replace Profar with internal options, but it remains unclear if prospect Rougned Odor is in the mix. Odor, 20, got his first taste of competition above A-ball last season. In 144 plate appearances with Double-A Frisco, Odor hit .306 with an .884 OPS. The Rangers’ other internal options include Josh Wilson and Brent Lillibridge.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)