Jurickson Profar out 10-12 weeks with a torn teres major muscle

Mar 23, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT

profar getty Getty Images

The Rangers have been bitten hard by the injury bug, and they will now add another key player to the infirmary. Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Times reports that Profar has a torn teres major muscle and will be out 10-12 weeks. He does not need to undergo surgery, according to Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Profar, the heir to Ian Kinsler at second base, has had a very rough spring. He dealt with flexor tendinitis in his right arm in early March, then he had to have four wisdom teeth removed two weeks later.

Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the Rangers will attempt to replace Profar with internal options, but it remains unclear if prospect Rougned Odor is in the mix. Odor, 20, got his first taste of competition above A-ball last season. In 144 plate appearances with Double-A Frisco, Odor hit .306 with an .884 OPS. The Rangers’ other internal options include Josh Wilson and Brent Lillibridge.

1. nymets4ever - Mar 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

funny how everyone bashed me when i called profar injury prone.

• chacochicken - Mar 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM

He is also really slow for a 2B/SS. Who else is injury prone so we can check your success rate?

• spudchukar - Mar 24, 2014 at 11:09 AM

What is actually “funny” is that Rougned Odor played for the Frisco Roughriders. And one thing I know for sure, is that in the future, never will the phrase, “Rougned Odor may be called up to replace Jurickson Profar” ever be seen again.

• spudchukar - Mar 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Whatever happened to Mel Ott?

2. echech88 - Mar 23, 2014 at 6:48 PM

AL West wide open.

Outside of Houston.

• hittfamily - Mar 24, 2014 at 1:14 AM

That is one craptastic division. Put any one of those teams in the beast, and they’d all be in last place. I can only think of Trout and Cano who would even start for the Rays, and Cano isn’t even much of an upgrade over Zobrist. If the Sox and Yankees weren’t starting such bad 3rd baseman, I’d say the same for them as well, but Donaldson, Seager, and Beltre would be huge upgrades.

• eglooney - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:45 PM

SHOULD there be a reply?

No? K… I’ll just wander over to someone who is actually interesting…

3. thetxhammer - Mar 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I for one have to apologize to NYMets, I jumped in on the bashing and it looks like the baseball gods made me pay.

Time for Roughned to jump on the scene.

4. chill1184 - Mar 23, 2014 at 7:24 PM

That sucks, correct me if I’m wrong but Profar was/is considered to be the best prospect (or just best SS prospect) baseball correct? I really want to see what this kid can do, especially in the nice offensive house that is Rangers Ballpark in Arlington

• Droppo - Mar 23, 2014 at 8:16 PM

A year ago he was the best prospect in baseball regardless of position. He spent the last year in a utility role with no full time position until Kinsler got traded for Prince.

5. straightouttavtown - Mar 23, 2014 at 7:52 PM

If Rangers plan to contend this year, they better cave to Boras’ demand and sign Stephen Drew ASAP before the Tigers come to their senses and snatch him up.

• einjzmolf - Mar 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM

yeah, no.

6. kingjoe1 - Mar 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM

He had issues at the start of camp, why didnt they look deeper than, and let him rest for the last 6 weeks. He would be halfway healed by now.

7. southernballhawk1 - Mar 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Good! Profar is the biggest jerk iv ever met!

• beefytrout - Mar 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM

I’ve heard rumblings he was rude to fans at Spring Training last year. That what you’re on about?

• southernballhawk1 - Mar 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Yes thats it. I politely asked for his autograph and he looked at me as if to say F*** off and said “I don’t have time for that.” then went and sat down on a bench with one of his friends and started talking in spanish about me as he pointed and laughed at us.

• beefytrout - Mar 24, 2014 at 12:11 AM

apparently there were several incidents, to the point where the organization took notice.

• bendover09 - Mar 24, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Southern,
        Cough bs cough

Damn something must be in the air. Grown men acting like babies over autograph

8. bendover09 - Mar 24, 2014 at 1:44 AM

I heard rumblings*

Sounds just like , I heard this from my ESPN source

Prove the evidence. If you don’t have it more than likely just a fan trying to seek attention

• beefytrout - Mar 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

You’re probably one of those people who needs movies to be exposition-heavy so you understand what’s going on.

By “rumblings” I meant that I’ve read a few comments on Rangers Spring Training articles where several people posted that they had a less than favorable interaction with Profar, and I recall at least one Rangers beat writer mentioning that the Rangers expect more from Profar, specifically mentioning attitude/outward presence in relation to Spring Training.

Sorry, I don’t bookmark and footnote every webpage I visit, so I’m not able to cite my sources at this time, professor. But mentioning that I’ve heard similar incidents to one person’s experience doesn’t really make me a “fan trying to seek attention.” I’m not even sure how that could be considered drawing attention to myself, since BeefyTrout is not my given name.

9. sandpiperair - Mar 24, 2014 at 9:50 AM

“Odor, 20, got his first taste of competition above A-ball last season.”

Shouldn’t it say that Odor “got his first whiff of competition?”

• spudchukar - Mar 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Well since one’s taste is primarily effected by olfactory inputs, maybe not. But I too noticed the sensory connection. Some writer somewhere is drooling over the chance to use odorous or odoriferous as soon as Rougned errs.

• eglooney - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Roogie will never err… lol

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3825)