Mar 23, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
The Rangers have been bitten hard by the injury bug, and they will now add another key player to the infirmary. Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Times reports that Profar has a torn teres major muscle and will be out 10-12 weeks. He does not need to undergo surgery, according to Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Profar, the heir to Ian Kinsler at second base, has had a very rough spring. He dealt with flexor tendinitis in his right arm in early March, then he had to have four wisdom teeth removed two weeks later.
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the Rangers will attempt to replace Profar with internal options, but it remains unclear if prospect Rougned Odor is in the mix. Odor, 20, got his first taste of competition above A-ball last season. In 144 plate appearances with Double-A Frisco, Odor hit .306 with an .884 OPS. The Rangers’ other internal options include Josh Wilson and Brent Lillibridge.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)