Mar 23, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
The Rangers have been bitten hard by the injury bug, and they will now add another key player to the infirmary. Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Times reports that Profar has a torn teres major muscle and will be out 10-12 weeks. He does not need to undergo surgery, according to Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Profar, the heir to Ian Kinsler at second base, has had a very rough spring. He dealt with flexor tendinitis in his right arm in early March, then he had to have four wisdom teeth removed two weeks later.
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the Rangers will attempt to replace Profar with internal options, but it remains unclear if prospect Rougned Odor is in the mix. Odor, 20, got his first taste of competition above A-ball last season. In 144 plate appearances with Double-A Frisco, Odor hit .306 with an .884 OPS. The Rangers’ other internal options include Josh Wilson and Brent Lillibridge.
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 44
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 6
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)