Mar 23, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
In the fourth inning of Sunday afternoon’s start against the Red Sox, Matt Moore took a comebacker to the face off of the bat of Xander Bogaerts. Moore appeared to at least partially deflect the ball and had the presence of mind to chase after the ball and throw out Bogaerts at first base to end the inning.
Video of the incident:
Moore left the game under his own power with a team trainer. Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times said there didn’t appear to be any urgency. After the game, Topkin reported that Moore got a couple stitches for a laceration on his lip, and that the lefty wasn’t showing any symptoms of a concussion.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)