Mar 23, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The Phillies, in a bit of a roster conundrum with the latest rash of injuries, have outrighted infielder Kevin Frandsen to Triple-A Lehigh Valley, MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki reports. Frandsen has 72 hours to accept or reject the assignment. Zolecki adds that GM Ruben Amaro told Frandsen he still has a chance to make the Opening Day roster.
“We’re in a situation now with many of the injuries that have happened and the things that have occurred this spring to try and create some roster space for us,” Amaro said. “That’s what we’ve done. We still think he can be a valuable part of our club. But he’s competing. Just like he was before, he continues to compete for a job on the bench.”
Infielder Freddy Galvis recently came down with MRSA and will be out indefinitely, while Darin Ruf suffered a strained left oblique and could miss all of April. The Phillies would be considering adding some combination of Cesar Hernandez and non-roster invitees Ronny Cedeno and Reid Brignac.
The decision is particularly interesting because Amaro gave guaranteed contracts to Frandsen ($900,000) and John Mayberry, Jr. ($1,587,500) after avoiding arbitration. Contracts signed to avoid arbitration are usually non-guaranteed, so Amaro going out of his way to offer guaranteed contracts seemed to indicate Frandsen and Mayberry’s spots on the roster were assured. Mayberry has reportedly been made available via trade.
In 2012, Frandsen was one of the best pinch-hitters in the game, hitting .338 in 210 plate appearances. He regressed in 2013, finishing with a .234 average in 278 PA.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)