Mar 23, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The Phillies, in a bit of a roster conundrum with the latest rash of injuries, have outrighted infielder Kevin Frandsen to Triple-A Lehigh Valley, MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki reports. Frandsen has 72 hours to accept or reject the assignment. Zolecki adds that GM Ruben Amaro told Frandsen he still has a chance to make the Opening Day roster.
“We’re in a situation now with many of the injuries that have happened and the things that have occurred this spring to try and create some roster space for us,” Amaro said. “That’s what we’ve done. We still think he can be a valuable part of our club. But he’s competing. Just like he was before, he continues to compete for a job on the bench.”
Infielder Freddy Galvis recently came down with MRSA and will be out indefinitely, while Darin Ruf suffered a strained left oblique and could miss all of April. The Phillies would be considering adding some combination of Cesar Hernandez and non-roster invitees Ronny Cedeno and Reid Brignac.
The decision is particularly interesting because Amaro gave guaranteed contracts to Frandsen ($900,000) and John Mayberry, Jr. ($1,587,500) after avoiding arbitration. Contracts signed to avoid arbitration are usually non-guaranteed, so Amaro going out of his way to offer guaranteed contracts seemed to indicate Frandsen and Mayberry’s spots on the roster were assured. Mayberry has reportedly been made available via trade.
In 2012, Frandsen was one of the best pinch-hitters in the game, hitting .338 in 210 plate appearances. He regressed in 2013, finishing with a .234 average in 278 PA.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 4
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)