Mar 23, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
From Rob Bradford of WEEI comes word that the Red Sox have agreed to a one-year, $16 million contract extension with veteran designated hitter David Ortiz. The deal will be announced by the team on Monday.
Ortiz was already under contract for $15 million in 2014, and now gets a nice $1 million raise for the 2015 campaign. He made his desire for a one-year extension well known this winter and the defending World Series-champion Red Sox came through a week before Opening Day.
Ortiz hit .688 (11-for-16) with two home runs and six RBI in last year’s World Series and .309/.395/.564 with 30 home runs and 103 RBI in 137 games during the 2013 regular season.
The new contract keeps him in Boston through age 39.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)