Mar 23, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports is reporting that Nationals shortstop Ian Desmond turned down a hefty multi-year contract extension over the winter. Heyman’s sources estimate the extension was at least six years in length and between $80 to $90 million in value. The two sides eventually agreed on a two-year, $17.5 million deal in January to avoid arbitration.
Desmond, 28, has become one of the league’s best shortstops. Over the last two seasons, he has hit at least 20 home runs and stolen 20 bases while posting an aggregate .812 OPS. According to FanGraphs, he has actually been the most valuable shortstop in baseball since the start of the 2012 season, with an even 10.0 WAR. Baseball Reference is a bit less kind, pegging him as third-best with 7.1 WAR, with the discrepancy occurring mostly due to defensive metrics. Either way, he has turned into quite a valuable player.
While it will be nice for the Nationals to lock up a key player at a key position, they’ll eventually have to do the same with Bryce Harper, Stephen Strasburg, and Jordan Zimmermann. The Nationals currently have a $129.5 million payroll according to Cot’s Contracts, and already have $84 million committed for the 2015 season.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 0
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)