Mar 23, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports is reporting that Nationals shortstop Ian Desmond turned down a hefty multi-year contract extension over the winter. Heyman’s sources estimate the extension was at least six years in length and between $80 to $90 million in value. The two sides eventually agreed on a two-year, $17.5 million deal in January to avoid arbitration.
Desmond, 28, has become one of the league’s best shortstops. Over the last two seasons, he has hit at least 20 home runs and stolen 20 bases while posting an aggregate .812 OPS. According to FanGraphs, he has actually been the most valuable shortstop in baseball since the start of the 2012 season, with an even 10.0 WAR. Baseball Reference is a bit less kind, pegging him as third-best with 7.1 WAR, with the discrepancy occurring mostly due to defensive metrics. Either way, he has turned into quite a valuable player.
While it will be nice for the Nationals to lock up a key player at a key position, they’ll eventually have to do the same with Bryce Harper, Stephen Strasburg, and Jordan Zimmermann. The Nationals currently have a $129.5 million payroll according to Cot’s Contracts, and already have $84 million committed for the 2015 season.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)