Mar 23, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Earlier, we learned that the Giants and third baseman Pablo Sandoval haven’t made any progress on a contract extension. It appears Sandoval wants a deal similar to Hunter Pence‘s five years and $90 million, which was struck last September.
CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly is reporting that, on Friday, the club offered Sandoval a three-year deal in the $40 million range, but it was rejected. Sandoval’s agent, Gustavo Vasquez of SPS Sports Group, will remain in Arizona through the Giants’ season-opening series and will continue to negotiate, but he doesn’t expect any concessions. What he does expect, however, is for his client to test free agency if a deal can’t be struck by the All-Star break.
Sandoval has had health and conditioning issues, which is not an insignificant factor for the Giants. He logged over 470 plate appearances last season for the first time since 2010 and his weight has long been a source of concern, though he did show up in camp noticeably more svelte.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)