Mar 23, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Earlier, we learned that the Giants and third baseman Pablo Sandoval haven’t made any progress on a contract extension. It appears Sandoval wants a deal similar to Hunter Pence‘s five years and $90 million, which was struck last September.
CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly is reporting that, on Friday, the club offered Sandoval a three-year deal in the $40 million range, but it was rejected. Sandoval’s agent, Gustavo Vasquez of SPS Sports Group, will remain in Arizona through the Giants’ season-opening series and will continue to negotiate, but he doesn’t expect any concessions. What he does expect, however, is for his client to test free agency if a deal can’t be struck by the All-Star break.
Sandoval has had health and conditioning issues, which is not an insignificant factor for the Giants. He logged over 470 plate appearances last season for the first time since 2010 and his weight has long been a source of concern, though he did show up in camp noticeably more svelte.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 0
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 34
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 61
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15