Mar 23, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Earlier, we learned that the Giants and third baseman Pablo Sandoval haven’t made any progress on a contract extension. It appears Sandoval wants a deal similar to Hunter Pence‘s five years and $90 million, which was struck last September.
CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly is reporting that, on Friday, the club offered Sandoval a three-year deal in the $40 million range, but it was rejected. Sandoval’s agent, Gustavo Vasquez of SPS Sports Group, will remain in Arizona through the Giants’ season-opening series and will continue to negotiate, but he doesn’t expect any concessions. What he does expect, however, is for his client to test free agency if a deal can’t be struck by the All-Star break.
Sandoval has had health and conditioning issues, which is not an insignificant factor for the Giants. He logged over 470 plate appearances last season for the first time since 2010 and his weight has long been a source of concern, though he did show up in camp noticeably more svelte.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)