Mar 23, 2014, 8:25 PM EST
The Tigers may have hit a roadblock in extension talks with starter Max Scherzer, so they have turned their attention to first baseman Miguel Cabrera. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports that the two sides are open to an extension, but the discussion remains at a preliminary stage. Cabrera moved over to first base after the Tigers traded Prince Fielder to the Rangers during the off-season.
Cabrera, the American League’s back-to-back winner of the MVP award, turns 31 years old on April 18. He’ll earn $22 million in each of the 2014 and ’15 seasons — the last two years of an eight-year, $152.3 million deal signed back in March of 2008 — before becoming eligible for free agency, perhaps his last shot at a big multi-year deal. So, the Tigers will have to pay to keep him around.
Some question Cabrera’s ability to stay healthy and productive well into his 30’s, despite as consistent a track record as one can find. Since becoming a full-time player in 2001, Cabrera has played in at least 148 games and posted an OPS of at least .879. He is clearly on a Hall of Fame trajectory so long as he can continue staying healthy.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 17
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 49
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)