Mar 23, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
The A’s announced Sunday, via MLB.com’s Jane Lee, that right-hander Sonny Gray will start on Opening Day, March 31, against the Indians.
Gray, 24, had a 2.67 ERA (140 ERA+), 1.019 WHIP, and 67 strikeouts in 64 innings last season. He then made two postseason starts, posting a 2.08 ERA and striking out 12 batters across 13 frames.
Chavez will be taking Parker’s spot, at least initially.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 2
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 43
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 25
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)