Mar 23, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT
The Dodgers left Australia with an early two-game lead over the Diamondbacks in the National League West standings, but the long plane ride home probably won’t have a completely celebratory vibe.
Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was removed from Sunday’s 7-5 victory at the Sydney Cricket Ground after appearing to injure himself on a hard swing in the top of the ninth inning. He did not take his usual place in right field for the bottom of the ninth, and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly seemed irked with the second-year major leaguer in both his pre- and post-game chats with the U.S. and Australian media.
Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles has more:
Before the game, Mattingly told reporters that Puig “grabs something every time he takes a swing and misses.”
Asked what injury caused Puig to leave Sunday’s game, Mattingly said, “I guess his back.” He then seemed to react sarcastically when asked about the severity of the injury.
“Shoulder yesterday, back today, so I’m not sure if they’re going to get him tests or get him to the MRI Monday or a bone scan on Tuesday, maybe,” Mattingly said. “I’m not quite sure what we’ll do. We may not do anything. I’m not sure.”
Puig showed up to Dodgers camp this spring 26 pounds heavier than he was at the end of the 2013 season and he made two ugly baserunning gaffes in Sunday’s game. But he also went 3-for-5 with two RBI.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 17
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 17
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)