Mar 23, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT
The Dodgers left Australia with an early two-game lead over the Diamondbacks in the National League West standings, but the long plane ride home probably won’t have a completely celebratory vibe.
Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was removed from Sunday’s 7-5 victory at the Sydney Cricket Ground after appearing to injure himself on a hard swing in the top of the ninth inning. He did not take his usual place in right field for the bottom of the ninth, and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly seemed irked with the second-year major leaguer in both his pre- and post-game chats with the U.S. and Australian media.
Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles has more:
Before the game, Mattingly told reporters that Puig “grabs something every time he takes a swing and misses.”
Asked what injury caused Puig to leave Sunday’s game, Mattingly said, “I guess his back.” He then seemed to react sarcastically when asked about the severity of the injury.
“Shoulder yesterday, back today, so I’m not sure if they’re going to get him tests or get him to the MRI Monday or a bone scan on Tuesday, maybe,” Mattingly said. “I’m not quite sure what we’ll do. We may not do anything. I’m not sure.”
Puig showed up to Dodgers camp this spring 26 pounds heavier than he was at the end of the 2013 season and he made two ugly baserunning gaffes in Sunday’s game. But he also went 3-for-5 with two RBI.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)