Mar 23, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT
The Dodgers left Australia with an early two-game lead over the Diamondbacks in the National League West standings, but the long plane ride home probably won’t have a completely celebratory vibe.
Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was removed from Sunday’s 7-5 victory at the Sydney Cricket Ground after appearing to injure himself on a hard swing in the top of the ninth inning. He did not take his usual place in right field for the bottom of the ninth, and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly seemed irked with the second-year major leaguer in both his pre- and post-game chats with the U.S. and Australian media.
Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles has more:
Before the game, Mattingly told reporters that Puig “grabs something every time he takes a swing and misses.”
Asked what injury caused Puig to leave Sunday’s game, Mattingly said, “I guess his back.” He then seemed to react sarcastically when asked about the severity of the injury.
“Shoulder yesterday, back today, so I’m not sure if they’re going to get him tests or get him to the MRI Monday or a bone scan on Tuesday, maybe,” Mattingly said. “I’m not quite sure what we’ll do. We may not do anything. I’m not sure.”
Puig showed up to Dodgers camp this spring 26 pounds heavier than he was at the end of the 2013 season and he made two ugly baserunning gaffes in Sunday’s game. But he also went 3-for-5 with two RBI.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 11
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 204
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (206)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)