Mar 24, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
He also struggled in earlier outings this spring and finished that game with a 30.00 ERA overall, but Quintana insisted afterward that he felt fine physically and bounced back yesterday with five shutout innings against the Rockies.
That sliced his ERA from 30.00 to 16.36 and more importantly gave the White Sox reason to stop worrying about one of their best pitchers heading into the season as a mess. Spring training performances: Still not all that important, usually.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 10
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 31
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 122
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)