Jose Reyes diagnosed with mild hamstring strain

Mar 24, 2014, 9:31 PM EST

Jose Reyes AP AP

Jose Reyes left Saturday’s Grapefruit League game with left hamstring discomfort and Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that an MRI today revealed that he’s dealing with a mild strain.

The Blue Jays are calling Reyes day-to-day for now, but given his long history of his hamstring issues, it wouldn’t be surprising if they decide to play things safe and have him begin the season on the disabled list. They’ll likely hold off making an official decision until later in the week.

Assuming Reyes begins the year on the disabled list, the Blue Jays will likely go with Ryan Goins at shortstop and Maicer Izturis at second base.

1. kraa0901 - Mar 24, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Here we goooo! Man it has to be tough having this guy in your corner.

2. garypagetwo - Mar 24, 2014 at 9:58 PM

shocking

3. bigharold - Mar 24, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Wow, .. didn’t see that coming.

4. 13yrsmlbvet - Mar 24, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Jays are gonna go thru the same injury issues as before. Whacking the strength coach and bringing up a minor league guy just doesn’t cut it. Nothing will change. They need a whole new paradigm.

• yahmule - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:38 AM

The playing surface sure doesn’t do their guys any favors.

5. nymets4ever - Mar 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM

man…he is so Overrated

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM

That’s certainly not a problem you’re ever likely to have.

6. therooneyskilledwebster - Mar 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM

It was over before it started.

7. xmatt0926x - Mar 24, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Wow. I really wanted my team to pursue Reyes when he was available. I assumed these injuries just had to stop at some point, but they never do. It’s amazing.

8. taftfan88 - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:31 AM

I apologize my dearest Braves fans. It appeared Milky was actually not over the “incident!” We can only hope he recovers for his next start, but until then we have Lamar’s Phillies coming to Turner….speaking of Turner…the front office actually offered to change the stadium name to suit my demands in hopes of keeping me from leaving in pursuit of my modeling career. Teddy and I are grand companions and he was supposedly in favor of the change, but I just couldn’t for my mind was set!! Anywho yes, Lamar’s Phillies have come to town and my sources tell me our great Braves will take all 3 competitive matchups!! This is all I can give as of now…I must depart and visit Mother in the hospital. She broke her pelvis late last night!! I do not have a clue what could have happened, but she remains constant in saying, and I quote, “It was worth it!” Father also seems at ease with the recent injury and told my sister today “That this was all his doing”…and then gave a small chuckle!! I reckon he has pushed her down the stairs again…it seemed as if Mother had broken something odd each month when I was younger. An ear, a tooth, the hole in her neck from the years of smoking… Oh well I must depart!!

• taftfan88 - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:31 AM

As of this morning my resignation letter to our great organization has been granted its request to for your Atlanta Braves and I to part ways. This is an extremely complex and difficult decision for me my friends. You all hold such a dear section of my heart and as of this moment I cannot bring myself to post details of the affair. I feel at this moment in my life I am called for greater things and the Atlanta Braves and I are hurt that I need to leave so close to the season’s start. I have spoken to players, coaches, and front office members individually and each has respected my decision. I promise to give you all details of my new endeavor soon but alas at this time it proves to tough a task. So long till the time arrives!!

• taftfan88 - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Oh I do declare the Atlanta Braves must have the most intelligent fans in all of Major League Baseball. You all are correct in that each of the names mentioned is indeed linked to trade talks for our Atlanta Braves. Frankie and the remainder of our great front office worked diligently and acquired Alex Gonzalez, who we all felt would be an improvement over Yunel Escobar. Mr. Escobar was a grand player with his flashy way of playing, although sadly was not producing at a pace we would have liked and even more sadly had an attitude that was not on tract with the traditional Atlanta Braves way of playing and presenting ourselves. I did enjoy Yunel during his stay in Atlanta and one memory that comes to mind was the time myself and Big Peter(Peter Moylan….the name is an entirely different story) bribed Yunel’s hairdresser into coloring his hair lime green! Oh the expression on his face I will never remember…yes remember…because once Yunel found out I was behind the scheme he attacked me with a blow dryer. We eventually made up and I bought him a wig, which he wore until just recently when his hair lost its green tint. Anywho as all of you are correct with the names mention I will leave you with the words once yelled by Mr. Kevin Garnett, “ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!”

Speaking of Kevin Garnett I cannot find my jersey that he personally signed for me. The last time I saw it Yunel had just trapped me in the corner of my closet threatening to “blow my face off.” Wait A Minute that flashy, hair coloring son of a gun stole my jersey and took it to darn Canada knowing I’m not allowed to enter that country since I attended that Justin Bieber concert!!

9. craigmaitland - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:31 AM

It begins already…

10. jnichols35 - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Kawasaki time to shine!

• ptfu - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:14 AM

Muni has already shone brighter than a thousand suns. Let’s see if he can top this:

htttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2rStdh9SyQ

11. renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Id Rather Go with Kawasaki than The Two. He’s The Mood Maker there.

12. sdelmonte - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM

It hurts to see such talent and drive limited by injury. But at the same time, the Mets’ failure to sign him was one of those moves that looks great after the fact.

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Yes, though of course for all the wrong reasons. I have to wonder whether guys like Reyes, who keep having the same sorts of injuries, aren’t conditioning themselves properly, aren’t getting the right nutrition, don’t give themselves adequate recovery time or ackcherley suffer from some genetic predisposition to particular kinesiological problems. Really too bad. When he’s on, he’s an exciting ballplayer.

13. TheMorningStar - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Yet Alex Antropoholos the GM still is employed by the team. Guess the ownership is content with his awful trades.

14. El Bravo - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Best draft pick ever. Again.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester