Mar 24, 2014, 11:28 PM EST
You may recall that there was some drama between the Mets and Matt Harvey last week on the topic of just where he will rehab from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. While the ace right-hander has made it clear that he wants to stay with the team in New York during the rehabilitation process, the Mets have expressed a desire to have him stick around in Florida and work out at the the team’s complex in Port St. Lucie.
Well, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York hears from a source that Harvey will get his wish for the most part:
Harvey tentatively has a plan set up with Mets officials that will allow him to rehab in New York during the season. He then would head to Port St. Lucie to face minor-league competition when he is ready to seriously gear up for games, a source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.
Harvey could be on a mound for the first time since Tommy John surgery in June.
He is currently throwing on flat ground at 75 feet.
In reality, the Mets could not prevent Harvey from rehabbing in New York. The collective bargaining agreement specifies that the club can only require Harvey to rehab at the team’s spring-training complex for a maximum of 20 days without his written consent.
Harvey wants to accompany the Mets on the road during the season as well, but that apparently will not be part of the agreement.
The Mets have yet to confirm the report and would only say through a team spokesperson that they are “not ready to make any announcement.” You know, because this silly controversy really needs to live for another day.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 87
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 35
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (93)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)