Matt Harvey gets his wish, will rehab from Tommy John surgery in New York

Mar 24, 2014, 11:28 PM EST

matt harvey getty Getty Images

You may recall that there was some drama between the Mets and Matt Harvey last week on the topic of just where he will rehab from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. While the ace right-hander has made it clear that he wants to stay with the team in New York during the rehabilitation process, the Mets have expressed a desire to have him stick around in Florida and work out at the the team’s complex in Port St. Lucie.

Well, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York hears from a source that Harvey will get his wish for the most part:

Harvey tentatively has a plan set up with Mets officials that will allow him to rehab in New York during the season. He then would head to Port St. Lucie to face minor-league competition when he is ready to seriously gear up for games, a source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.

Harvey could be on a mound for the first time since Tommy John surgery in June.

He is currently throwing on flat ground at 75 feet.

In reality, the Mets could not prevent Harvey from rehabbing in New York. The collective bargaining agreement specifies that the club can only require Harvey to rehab at the team’s spring-training complex for a maximum of 20 days without his written consent.

Harvey wants to accompany the Mets on the road during the season as well, but that apparently will not be part of the agreement.

The Mets have yet to confirm the report and would only say through a team spokesperson that they are “not ready to make any announcement.” You know, because this silly controversy really needs to live for another day.

1. taftfan88 - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:23 AM

…I’m…I mean, I’ll…my…I…I…my…I…me…I…I’m not going to fight with you because you hold an imperfect position…I…at a personal level too…I’m…I…I…I…I…

…me, and I feel…I’m…I…are hypocrites. But ultimately, they don’t matter. The bottom line is…me…..

…I…I…Period.

And if you have a problem with that, I don’t think we’re in the same movement.

Period.

• renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Dude…. I rarely say this but.. Are You Alright?

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I would strongly recommend that taftfan88 try to read The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat or some of Oliver Sacks’ other anecdotal studies in aphasia and various forms of shrapnel wounds to the head.

2. hammyofdoom - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Does anyone else find it funny that a young baseball player wants to spend more time with the team and the brass is upset with that? Isn’t it the other way around generally?

• Kevin S. - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Funny when you put it that way. Not funny when you realize they’re upset because their chattel isn’t bowing to their every whim.

3. nygf - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Where’s our supposed Captain? I hope he said “Listen buddy, I’ve literally broken my back for this franchise and almost surely took less $$ to stay here. You have 30 big league starts. Quit showing up the team.” Harvey better be at every game watching and supporting his teammates, but I doubt it considering he asked out of a game last year to go watch the Rangers play at the Garden, so I’ll assume he wants to be in NYC because the nightlife in Port St. Lucie just doesn’t cut it.

I know the management of the team consists of incompetent buffoons. But making it seem like one player is bigger than the team is a dangerous road to go down. Look @ RGIII’s story arc thus far.

• dcarroll73 - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Maybe a reading comprehension course would help you. Harvey was the one who WANTED to be with the team, and Mets mgmt./ownership did NOT want this. Where is this junk about “showing up the team” coming from? All the Mets had to do to avoid this controversy was to treat an adult, highly-skilled athlete in an appropriate way.

• nygf - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM

My reading comprehension is just fine, though I appreciate your concern. I’d consider publicly saying you want to do one thing while your team’s management openly wants you to do another as a way of showing up the team. Is this a silly controversy that will likely become a non-issue in a matter of months or even weeks? Probably. But giving in like this does not set a good precedent, in my opinion, especially when they’re obviously depending on him coming back good as new to rejuvenate the entire franchise next year, and this will not look very good if he’s just up there to enjoy the nightlife and the women.

• American of African Descent - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Here’s an idea—how about ownership doesn’t show up it’s star player? Remember that it takes two to argue. Does ownership really want to set the precedent that it treats its stars (I don’t care how old they are, or how much they have paid in “dues”) like tweens, or that it makes stupid demands?

(And if you think Harvey isn’t a star, show me the pitchers who can pitch like he can? I’m sure there aren’t more than fifteen in MLB.)

4. tcostant - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:43 AM

HUGE MISTAKE – stay in the warm weather.

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I beg to enlighten you. It isn’t “warm” in Florida in the summertime. It’s sweltering. Temperatures pulsate into the mid-90s every day. There’s so much humidity here in July and August that the mosquitoes wear wet suits, blooms of mold appear on your scalp overnight and roofing shingles get soggy as bran flakes left standing overnight in a bowl of soymilk. Pass you hand quickly through the air in front of you and it leaves a track. You are occasionally siezed by a desire to browse on cycads and ferns.

Go to New York, Matt. Leave the tropics to us seasoned tropicals.

5. disgracedfury - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Love how the Mets only exciting thing to see is a injury player on the DL.

If you want to be Jeter Harvey you got to do what A-Rod(Which Harvey is acting like) couldn’t do…..keep your mouth shut and win.Thats what Jeter did best and A-Rod couldn’t do and Harvey is acting more A-Rod than Jeter after just one half a good season.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester