Mar 24, 2014, 11:28 PM EST
You may recall that there was some drama between the Mets and Matt Harvey last week on the topic of just where he will rehab from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. While the ace right-hander has made it clear that he wants to stay with the team in New York during the rehabilitation process, the Mets have expressed a desire to have him stick around in Florida and work out at the the team’s complex in Port St. Lucie.
Well, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York hears from a source that Harvey will get his wish for the most part:
Harvey tentatively has a plan set up with Mets officials that will allow him to rehab in New York during the season. He then would head to Port St. Lucie to face minor-league competition when he is ready to seriously gear up for games, a source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.
Harvey could be on a mound for the first time since Tommy John surgery in June.
He is currently throwing on flat ground at 75 feet.
In reality, the Mets could not prevent Harvey from rehabbing in New York. The collective bargaining agreement specifies that the club can only require Harvey to rehab at the team’s spring-training complex for a maximum of 20 days without his written consent.
Harvey wants to accompany the Mets on the road during the season as well, but that apparently will not be part of the agreement.
The Mets have yet to confirm the report and would only say through a team spokesperson that they are “not ready to make any announcement.” You know, because this silly controversy really needs to live for another day.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (228)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)