Mar 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Indians center fielder Michael Bourn will begin the season on the disabled list with a hamstring injury suffered on March 16, the team announced.
Bourn was a big disappointment in the first season of his four-year, $48 million deal, hitting just .263 with a .676 OPS and career-low 23 steals, and then in October he underwent surgery on the same hamstring that’s still bothering him now. He struggled this spring before being shut down, so the injury is a major worry for a 31-year-old whose value is almost entirely dependent on his speed.
Nyjer Morgan has won a spot on the Opening Day roster after coming to camp on a minor-league deal, so he’ll help fill in until Bourn is ready. Morgan played poorly for the Brewers in 2012, spent last season putting up mediocre numbers in Japan, and didn’t exactly impress this spring, but the Indians don’t have a ton of other options. Michael Brantley also has center field experience, so the Indians could shift him over from left field to avoid playing Morgan regularly. That would create more at-bats for Ryan Raburn and Mike Aviles.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)