Mar 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Indians center fielder Michael Bourn will begin the season on the disabled list with a hamstring injury suffered on March 16, the team announced.
Bourn was a big disappointment in the first season of his four-year, $48 million deal, hitting just .263 with a .676 OPS and career-low 23 steals, and then in October he underwent surgery on the same hamstring that’s still bothering him now. He struggled this spring before being shut down, so the injury is a major worry for a 31-year-old whose value is almost entirely dependent on his speed.
Nyjer Morgan has won a spot on the Opening Day roster after coming to camp on a minor-league deal, so he’ll help fill in until Bourn is ready. Morgan played poorly for the Brewers in 2012, spent last season putting up mediocre numbers in Japan, and didn’t exactly impress this spring, but the Indians don’t have a ton of other options. Michael Brantley also has center field experience, so the Indians could shift him over from left field to avoid playing Morgan regularly. That would create more at-bats for Ryan Raburn and Mike Aviles.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 112
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 19
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 208
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (209)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)