Mar 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Indians center fielder Michael Bourn will begin the season on the disabled list with a hamstring injury suffered on March 16, the team announced.
Bourn was a big disappointment in the first season of his four-year, $48 million deal, hitting just .263 with a .676 OPS and career-low 23 steals, and then in October he underwent surgery on the same hamstring that’s still bothering him now. He struggled this spring before being shut down, so the injury is a major worry for a 31-year-old whose value is almost entirely dependent on his speed.
Nyjer Morgan has won a spot on the Opening Day roster after coming to camp on a minor-league deal, so he’ll help fill in until Bourn is ready. Morgan played poorly for the Brewers in 2012, spent last season putting up mediocre numbers in Japan, and didn’t exactly impress this spring, but the Indians don’t have a ton of other options. Michael Brantley also has center field experience, so the Indians could shift him over from left field to avoid playing Morgan regularly. That would create more at-bats for Ryan Raburn and Mike Aviles.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)