Mike Trout on contract extension rumors: “I haven’t heard anything”

Mar 24, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT

Mike Trout Getty Getty Images

As of late last month there were numerous reports about the Angels and Mike Trout working on a massive long-term contract extension, but as Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com notes that talk has gone silent recently.

Gonzalez asked Trout what the extension rumors being quiet meant and here’s how the Angels center fielder replied:

I haven’t heard anything, either. Is that good or bad? Uh, I don’t know if it’s good or bad. I’m just getting ready for the season, worried about getting off to a good start.

Trout indicated that there hasn’t been a snag in the negotiations, but mostly he just didn’t want to talk about the situation at all.

Unlike, say, Max Scherzer‘s extension talks with the Tigers there’s no strict self-imposed deadline in Trout’s case and he’s under the Angels’ control through 2017.

1. chacochicken - Mar 24, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Mike Trout is just happy to be Mike Trout and go out there and give a 110%.

• infieldhit - Mar 24, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Trout’s interviews are usually bland but they keep him out of trouble. And usually he’d give the standard response of “That’s up to the front office and my agent” here, but I like how honest he seems here. Still being a young player and not knowing the ins and outs of the business side. He handles things really well for someone whom everyone wants a piece of.

Hopefully his agent follows suit (unlike last year when he griped about Trout not being the main CF).

• chacochicken - Mar 24, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I actually imagine this is something Mike would sincerely and genuinely say. I’m not suggesting he is dumb but seems a rather happy go luck kid who spends most of his time smiling.

2. baberuthslegs - Mar 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM

@AaronGleeman Why was @halladaysbiceps banned from HBT? It’s difficult to determine what rule(s) he broke by looking back at his posts. Just asking as a concerned fan of HBT. Censorship does not seem like something you or HBT would condone.

• NatsLady - Mar 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM

He was banned again? Thought he had been allowed back.

• baberuthslegs - Mar 24, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Yes, he was banned after his comment about Aaron viewing an internet dating site (according to what I can determine from ‘ceps tweets)

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I’m not sure if you saw the original comment, but he was making fun of Aaron and it was not in a nice sort of way. Alas, I cannot recall word for word what he typed. I do remember thinking that it was in poor taste.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Has he been banned again? And most likely due to his argumentative nature along with choice use of words. It has nothing to do with censorship, it’s a play nice or you’ll have to take your ball somewhere else.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Honest question, do you know his history with HBT? If so, I apologize for the repetitiveness, but here goes:

Comes in a year or two after the site starts, is extremely argumentative with people, with racist/homophobic slurs and gets himself banned after one to many times calling another commentor *insert personal attack*. Apologizes to Craig and says he’ll behave himself, only to ask to get banned again a few days later because he can’t control himself.

Comes back, and low and behold, starts doing the same exact ish again. How it took him this long to get banned again is beyond me. And gee, maybe you should make personal attacks against the writers…

• baberuthslegs - Mar 24, 2014 at 4:13 PM

‘ceps asked me to request of Aaron why he was banned.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 24, 2014 at 4:43 PM

repeating for emphasis:
        And gee, maybe you should make personal attacks against the writers…

He said it on his twitter page he called Aaron a loser. I’m sure it was actually more choice words than that. Regardless, he has a history, he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt. And what good does he bring anyhow?

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 24, 2014 at 4:17 PM

What Censorship? As far as I’m aware Biceps can continue tweeting (or blogging) to the free world at large. Remember that these are privately owned sites. Even pubs reserve the right to throw anyone out they don’t like.

• baberuthslegs - Mar 24, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Just trying to find out the reason. ‘ceps wants clarification as to what rules he violated.

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Well… he could email HBT directly. There’s a Feedback section.

• baberuthslegs - Mar 24, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I will pass that along Francisco, thanks.

3. georgewashingtonsghost - Mar 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I’m suprised the Angles aren’t pushing for this more, as I imagine Trout’s price will only go up with every game he plays.

• echech88 - Mar 24, 2014 at 7:45 PM

It may have. He’s hit 5 home runs since the first reports of the contract trickled out.

• infieldhit - Mar 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM

On the other hand, he made an awkward diving catch the other day, and commented that he was glad he wasn’t injured the way other guys have been after making the same kind of catch.

4. Aaron Gleeman - Mar 24, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Just to be clear: He was not banned for anything having to do with making fun of me. I don’t care about that. He was banned for an inability to stop saying angry, mean, troll-like things in every thread he commented in.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 24, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Even better, thanks.

• baberuthslegs - Mar 24, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Thanks for your reply.

• Reflex - Mar 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM

What got me is that it was clear that he has an alcohol problem. He was actually somewhat reasonable at certain points of the day, but after he would drink he would get meaner and nastier. This was pointed out to him in his threads, that alcohol brought out the worst in him and that he was tolerable off the sauce. But unfortunately having read his Twitter I have noted that he seems to believe he is better with drink, and celebrates the ugly person he becomes under its influence.

I just wish he had some friends and family to intervene. He’s not an idiot, and he’s wasting his life and mind. Always sad to me.

• baberuthslegs - Mar 24, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Thank you for clarifying this situation a bit more. I did not realize the things you have pointed out.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3774)