Mar 24, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
ESPN the Magazine has joined in the increasingly common “let’s anonymously poll a hundred or two players and ask them who’s overrated” game. Except none of these things ever define what overrated means. Heck, I don’t know that anyone who talks about overrated/underrated knows what they really mean when they say that. Really, these kinds of polls are totally overrated.
Anyway, the players think that Bryce Harper is the most overrated. Which suggests to me that what most of these guys think of as “overrated” is really “overhyped” or “overreported.” I say this because I don’t get the sense that the general assessment of Harper’s skills are out of line with what he’s done thus far, especially at his young age. Also, they rate A-Rod as the third most overrated player, and who is rating A-Rod all that highly these days? It’s all about spilled ink, methinks, not what people actually think of them vis a vis their qualities as ballplayers.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)