Mar 24, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
ESPN the Magazine has joined in the increasingly common “let’s anonymously poll a hundred or two players and ask them who’s overrated” game. Except none of these things ever define what overrated means. Heck, I don’t know that anyone who talks about overrated/underrated knows what they really mean when they say that. Really, these kinds of polls are totally overrated.
Anyway, the players think that Bryce Harper is the most overrated. Which suggests to me that what most of these guys think of as “overrated” is really “overhyped” or “overreported.” I say this because I don’t get the sense that the general assessment of Harper’s skills are out of line with what he’s done thus far, especially at his young age. Also, they rate A-Rod as the third most overrated player, and who is rating A-Rod all that highly these days? It’s all about spilled ink, methinks, not what people actually think of them vis a vis their qualities as ballplayers.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)