Mar 24, 2014, 9:48 AM EST
ESPN the Magazine has joined in the increasingly common “let’s anonymously poll a hundred or two players and ask them who’s overrated” game. Except none of these things ever define what overrated means. Heck, I don’t know that anyone who talks about overrated/underrated knows what they really mean when they say that. Really, these kinds of polls are totally overrated.
Anyway, the players think that Bryce Harper is the most overrated. Which suggests to me that what most of these guys think of as “overrated” is really “overhyped” or “overreported.” I say this because I don’t get the sense that the general assessment of Harper’s skills are out of line with what he’s done thus far, especially at his young age. Also, they rate A-Rod as the third most overrated player, and who is rating A-Rod all that highly these days? It’s all about spilled ink, methinks, not what people actually think of them vis a vis their qualities as ballplayers.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)