Mar 24, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
The bad news keeps coming for the Rangers, who announced yesterday that infielder Jurickson Profar will be out for 10-12 weeks with a torn shoulder muscle and have now lost catcher Geovany Soto for 10-12 weeks with a torn lateral meniscus in his knee.
Soto will undergo surgery, likely leaving J.P. Arencibia as the starting catcher and Robinson Chirinos as his backup. Arencibia was the Blue Jays’ starting catcher for the past three seasons, averaging 123 games and 452 plate appearances per year, so durability-wise he can certainly step into a bigger role.
However, aside from 20-homer power Arencibia has been an awful player, hitting .214 with an abysmal .260 on-base percentage and .670 OPS while throwing out just 25 percent of steal attempts. Chirinos is a 30-year-old journeyman with a modest Triple-A track record, but he has had a very good spring training. Texas could look for some catching help on the waiver wire.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)