Mar 24, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Major League Baseball has announced that Rays pitcher Alex Colome has been suspended 50 games for taking the PED Boldenone. It’s an anabolic steroid, typically used for horses.
Colome, 25, made three starts for the Rays last year. He’s on the 40-man roster. He is currently with Durham, but had a good chance to contribute with the big club this year. He’s a hard thrower with a history of elbow ligament problems. Take your pick as to which of those traits the drugs were intended to augment and/or fix.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)