Mar 24, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Major League Baseball has announced that Rays pitcher Alex Colome has been suspended 50 games for taking the PED Boldenone. It’s an anabolic steroid, typically used for horses.
Colome, 25, made three starts for the Rays last year. He’s on the 40-man roster. He is currently with Durham, but had a good chance to contribute with the big club this year. He’s a hard thrower with a history of elbow ligament problems. Take your pick as to which of those traits the drugs were intended to augment and/or fix.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)