Mar 24, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Major League Baseball has announced that Rays pitcher Alex Colome has been suspended 50 games for taking the PED Boldenone. It’s an anabolic steroid, typically used for horses.
Colome, 25, made three starts for the Rays last year. He’s on the 40-man roster. He is currently with Durham, but had a good chance to contribute with the big club this year. He’s a hard thrower with a history of elbow ligament problems. Take your pick as to which of those traits the drugs were intended to augment and/or fix.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69