Mar 24, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Major League Baseball has announced that Rays pitcher Alex Colome has been suspended 50 games for taking the PED Boldenone. It’s an anabolic steroid, typically used for horses.
Colome, 25, made three starts for the Rays last year. He’s on the 40-man roster. He is currently with Durham, but had a good chance to contribute with the big club this year. He’s a hard thrower with a history of elbow ligament problems. Take your pick as to which of those traits the drugs were intended to augment and/or fix.
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 112
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (124)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (100)