Mar 24, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
With their top two starters gone for the season with Tommy John surgery, you’d figure that Atlanta would be a safe place to be if you’re a starter looking to make the big club. Not necessarily:
Freddy Garcia is packing his stuff. The Braves told him he will not be on the Opening Day roster. He is now a free agent
— Mark Bowman (@mlbbowman) March 24, 2014
Rather surprising. Garcia has not had a great spring training, but nor has he been atrocious either. Garcia would’ve been owed a $1.5 million roster bonus if he made the team, so one wonders if that had anything to do with it. Maybe they hope no one snags him and then re-signs him in a week?
Or, maybe they just want to go in a different direction. The rotation, as of now, looks to be Julio Tehran, Ervin Santana — assuming he’s ready for Opening Day — Alex Wood, who has been great this spring, David Hale, who no one thought would be in the mix and … Mike Minor eventually. Gavin Floyd, eventually. Basically, three dudes who are healthy and ready to go at the moment and . . . Gus Schlosser? Anyone?
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 2
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 21
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 39
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 16
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4