Mar 24, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
This is interesting. I mean, beyond that it shows that, yes, Alex Gonzalez is still playing baseball:
Orioles have traded Alex Gonzalez to the Detroit Tigers
— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) March 24, 2014
What’s more, Connolly reports that the Tigers traded utilityman Steve Lombardozzi for him. Which is kinda nuts considering Lombardozzi was a (presumably) important part of the Tigers trade of Doug Fister trade and Gonzalez was a non-roster invitee for the Orioles. Detroit obviously didn’t think too much of Lombardozzi. There’s a decent chance he becomes the Orioles’ starting second baseman.
For the Tigers Gonzalez will be yet another body to throw into the void that is their Jose Iglesias-free shortstop position. And, if that doesn’t work out, he can be the utility guy. Heck, the latter may be more likely given that Gonzalez hasn’t played a full season at shortstop since 2011. In the past two seasons in Milwaukee he played more first and third base. He didn’t hit a lick last season. He’s 37.
Strange trade, but the Tigers are doing all kinds of strange things lately.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 13
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 37
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)