Mar 24, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
This is interesting. I mean, beyond that it shows that, yes, Alex Gonzalez is still playing baseball:
Orioles have traded Alex Gonzalez to the Detroit Tigers
— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) March 24, 2014
What’s more, Connolly reports that the Tigers traded utilityman Steve Lombardozzi for him. Which is kinda nuts considering Lombardozzi was a (presumably) important part of the Tigers trade of Doug Fister trade and Gonzalez was a non-roster invitee for the Orioles. Detroit obviously didn’t think too much of Lombardozzi. There’s a decent chance he becomes the Orioles’ starting second baseman.
For the Tigers Gonzalez will be yet another body to throw into the void that is their Jose Iglesias-free shortstop position. And, if that doesn’t work out, he can be the utility guy. Heck, the latter may be more likely given that Gonzalez hasn’t played a full season at shortstop since 2011. In the past two seasons in Milwaukee he played more first and third base. He didn’t hit a lick last season. He’s 37.
Strange trade, but the Tigers are doing all kinds of strange things lately.
- Carlos Carrasco has a no-hitter through eight vs. the Rays 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)