Mar 24, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
This is interesting. I mean, beyond that it shows that, yes, Alex Gonzalez is still playing baseball:
Orioles have traded Alex Gonzalez to the Detroit Tigers
— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) March 24, 2014
What’s more, Connolly reports that the Tigers traded utilityman Steve Lombardozzi for him. Which is kinda nuts considering Lombardozzi was a (presumably) important part of the Tigers trade of Doug Fister trade and Gonzalez was a non-roster invitee for the Orioles. Detroit obviously didn’t think too much of Lombardozzi. There’s a decent chance he becomes the Orioles’ starting second baseman.
For the Tigers Gonzalez will be yet another body to throw into the void that is their Jose Iglesias-free shortstop position. And, if that doesn’t work out, he can be the utility guy. Heck, the latter may be more likely given that Gonzalez hasn’t played a full season at shortstop since 2011. In the past two seasons in Milwaukee he played more first and third base. He didn’t hit a lick last season. He’s 37.
Strange trade, but the Tigers are doing all kinds of strange things lately.
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 16
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 6
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 54
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)