Mar 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
According to one big-league scout in spring training, the Yankees have to have the least range on the infield of any major-league team. While he’s only in Florida, he seems pretty certain.
“It’s got to be the worst in baseball,” the scout said.
Derek Jeter‘s range hasn’t been great for years, but there was always help on either side of him. Not so anymore, as Brian Roberts and Kelly Johnson — or whoever plays third base — are each statuesque in the worst sense of the term as well.
So are they a candidate to sign Stephen Drew? Nope. A source tells Heyman that the Yankees are “tapped out” on money. Which strains credulity, as the Yankees print money more or less. Just seems that they’re not willing to spend any more.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)