Mar 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
According to one big-league scout in spring training, the Yankees have to have the least range on the infield of any major-league team. While he’s only in Florida, he seems pretty certain.
“It’s got to be the worst in baseball,” the scout said.
Derek Jeter‘s range hasn’t been great for years, but there was always help on either side of him. Not so anymore, as Brian Roberts and Kelly Johnson — or whoever plays third base — are each statuesque in the worst sense of the term as well.
So are they a candidate to sign Stephen Drew? Nope. A source tells Heyman that the Yankees are “tapped out” on money. Which strains credulity, as the Yankees print money more or less. Just seems that they’re not willing to spend any more.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)