Mar 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
According to one big-league scout in spring training, the Yankees have to have the least range on the infield of any major-league team. While he’s only in Florida, he seems pretty certain.
“It’s got to be the worst in baseball,” the scout said.
Derek Jeter‘s range hasn’t been great for years, but there was always help on either side of him. Not so anymore, as Brian Roberts and Kelly Johnson — or whoever plays third base — are each statuesque in the worst sense of the term as well.
So are they a candidate to sign Stephen Drew? Nope. A source tells Heyman that the Yankees are “tapped out” on money. Which strains credulity, as the Yankees print money more or less. Just seems that they’re not willing to spend any more.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 31
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 22
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)