Tigers sign J.D. Martinez

Mar 24, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

J.D. Martinez AP

J.D. Martinez, who was released by the Astros over the weekend, has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Tigers.

Martinez was a semi-regular for Houston during the past three seasons, logging 975 plate appearances, but he hit just .251 with 24 homers and a .687 OPS as a corner outfielder. He’s still just 26 years old and has a decent minor-league track record, so Martinez is a worthwhile pickup for a Tigers team looking for some organizational depth after losing Andy Dirks to back surgery.

He’d likely fit best as a part-timer, platooning with a left-handed hitter. For now he’ll head to Triple-A and try to resurrect his career.

1. hotdogfinger - Mar 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Move him to SS

2. historiophiliac - Mar 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM

It’s like a train wreck around here. I’m calling it the Curse of Prince Fielder now.

• happytwinsfan - Mar 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM

“…to grant me the serenity to accept that which i cannot control…”

• historiophiliac - Mar 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Thanks, happy.

• natstowngreg - Mar 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Just keep thinking of 1968, and Ray Oyler playing 5-6 innings at SS and hitting .135, then Mickey Stanley moving to SS for the World Series.

• happytwinsfan - Mar 24, 2014 at 7:22 PM

then close your eyes and visualize jim northrup’s gapper falling over curt flood’s head. better yet, it’s on you tube.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 24, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Nah, it’s worse than that. People survive train wrecks.

• warpd - Mar 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I agree with almost nothing you post, except this. I feel exactly the same way, some of these moves are non sequitur. It’s going to be a long year.

3. doctorofsmuganomics - Mar 24, 2014 at 4:23 PM

To be fair, he’s pretty good in MLB the show. And who knows, a change away from the stros could do him good

..if you’re waiting for the snarky comment, I couldn’t find the youtube clip I wanted. Ah well, C’est la vie

4. tigerman3 - Mar 24, 2014 at 4:53 PM

as much as I hate the Gonzalez trade this move looks good. JD most likely will get a call up this season and while he is in Toledo he has Leon Durham as his hitting coach who is one of the best I don’t understand why the tigers have never promoted him.. He might be able to revive his career.

Three legends off to Cooperstown