Daisuke Matsuzaka appears to be the Mets’ fifth starter

Mar 25, 2014, 6:40 AM EDT

Daisuke Matsuzaka AP

Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com reports that Daisuke Matsuzaka is “seemingly locked” in as the Mets’ fifth starter.

Terry Collins is not totally committing yet, saying after yesterday’s solid Dice-K outing that his competition,Jenrry Mejia, is still “in the mix,” but Collins also alluded to Matsuzaka’s veteran status — “he’s done it before and he’s done it a lot” — gives him an edge.

Mejia has put up better spring numbers than Matsuzaka overall, but each had strong outings their last time out. So I guess recency + a few gray hairs around the temples = the fifth starter’s job.

1. sabatimus - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Um. Well, I guess the Mets are going to suck again this year.

• renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Well. We never know right?

• bolweevils2 - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I imagine it’s just a matter of keeping your options open. If the go with Dice-K they can send Mejia down until the inevitable SP injury occurs. If they went with Mejia, Dice-K would be gone somewhere else and couldn’t be used as depth in case of injury.

I’d be pretty surprised if Mejia doesn’t get the chance to start 15-20 major league games as long as he pitches well enough to keep getting sent out there.

2. 18thstreet - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:17 AM

I’m sorry, Mets fans. It’s not merely that he pitchers badly. It’s that EVEN WHEN HE’S GOOD, he’s still terrible. Figure out a good routine for the days that he pitches. For example, when runners get on base, you can watch an episode of “The Good Wife” between pitches.

• ltzep75 - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:35 AM

It’s easier watching a mouse nibble a large hunk of cheese then watching Dice-K try to avoid the strike zone at all costs.

3. thedoubleentandres - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM

The Mets actually tweeted this out last night

“Dice-KKK off to a quick start, he strikes out the side in the 1st inning”

• Kevin S. - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:15 AM

It’s like they’re inviting the Dice-BB jokes when he struggles.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Whoever said “There ain’t no cure for the summertime blues” has never been to a Klan rally.

4. renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:56 AM

LOL I know this May be out of place But is there a Possibility you can purchase MLB Tv when your not In the US ? I’ve been dying to watch The Upcoming Season this year I REALLY REALLY Love The Braves, :-). A Filipino Here Living In the Philippines. Maraming Salamat, Mabuhay Baseball :-) !! (Thank You Very Much).

• renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Guess I should have commented at an “Atlanta Braves” page… Sorry Mets fans couldn’t help it.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Here’s the link to MLB.TV

My Canadian IT staff tells me he has MLB.TV from Canada so I suppose that counts.

• renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Thank You So Much Man !! Im goin for the MLB Premium I really Miss My Braves Now, It may be expensive But truly worth it. Thanks A Lot :-)

• themanytoolsofignorance - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:24 AM

No problem. Enjoy the baseball.

5. paperlions - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Mejia has a very long history of injury problems, many to his pitching arm. He’s pitched 28, 108, and 51 innings the last 3 years. You gotta figure, they probably figure to limit him to 120 or fewer innings between the majors and minors this year.

6. nymets4ever - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:05 AM

I like this move. Professional veteran guy who will provide some solid innings (maybe even build up some trade value), while allowing the organization to control Mejia’s costs for another year.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, despite all the snarky garbage you’ll hear about it just to appease the lolMets narrative. I’m glad Dice-K is in New York getting another shot at prolonging his career, good humble hardworking guy. Let’s go Dice-K!

• rje49 - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM

When Dice-K goes start after start with 110 pitches barely making 5 innings with half the batters going to full count, you won’t be calling them solid innings.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Yeah sure, signing Matsuzaka and Colon were the moves of a visionary, plain and simple. Also ingenious – allowing Matt Harvey to rehabilitate his arm with the team instead of sending him to Port St. Lucie.

Jenrry Mejia is roughly one hundred times better than Matsuzaka, and if he got optioned to AAA he would be starting games and approaching his innings limit in games that don’t count. All this to fight his Super Two status? And as a Mets fan you would be ok with this? I guess you don’t mind being a loser. It’s not for everyone, but good on ya.

• renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I’m pretty Sure the Title “The 5th Starter” for the Mets wont last that long though, The Reason They’ve done this was probably to have Noah Syndergaard work out a bit more at the minor leagues and after he’s done that DICE-K will be probably the odd man out.

7. ez4u2sa - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM

The Mets must be desperate, Any Red Sox fan will tell you this turkey is painful to watch,

• renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Hehe You tell me.. All Of Japan probably felt the same thing as them seeing one of their best player in their league to GET bombed that hard there in the States.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I’m taking my Dad to a Mets game on May 10th…knowing my luck, Dice-K will pitch.

• renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I envy You man, I always wanted to go to Baseball Stadium in Real Life. Have a Nice time with your Dad there. :-)

8. zzalapski - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:54 AM

“He’s done it before and he’s done it a lot.”

This also applies to Tom Seaver, and he’s probably a better pitcher than Dice-K, even today.

• dcarroll73 - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:29 AM

If nothing else, Seaver would work faster so even if they lost, it wouldn’t feel like torture.

9. mutasian - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM

i didn’t know he is still around…

10. chunkala - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Remember when Valentine and others said this guy was the best baseball player in the world?
    Wow, what a joke!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3234)