Mar 25, 2014, 6:40 AM EDT
Terry Collins is not totally committing yet, saying after yesterday’s solid Dice-K outing that his competition,Jenrry Mejia, is still “in the mix,” but Collins also alluded to Matsuzaka’s veteran status — “he’s done it before and he’s done it a lot” — gives him an edge.
Mejia has put up better spring numbers than Matsuzaka overall, but each had strong outings their last time out. So I guess recency + a few gray hairs around the temples = the fifth starter’s job.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 1
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 24
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 43
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 18
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)