Mar 25, 2014, 6:40 AM EST
Terry Collins is not totally committing yet, saying after yesterday’s solid Dice-K outing that his competition,Jenrry Mejia, is still “in the mix,” but Collins also alluded to Matsuzaka’s veteran status — “he’s done it before and he’s done it a lot” — gives him an edge.
Mejia has put up better spring numbers than Matsuzaka overall, but each had strong outings their last time out. So I guess recency + a few gray hairs around the temples = the fifth starter’s job.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)