Mar 25, 2014, 6:40 AM EDT
Terry Collins is not totally committing yet, saying after yesterday’s solid Dice-K outing that his competition,Jenrry Mejia, is still “in the mix,” but Collins also alluded to Matsuzaka’s veteran status — “he’s done it before and he’s done it a lot” — gives him an edge.
Mejia has put up better spring numbers than Matsuzaka overall, but each had strong outings their last time out. So I guess recency + a few gray hairs around the temples = the fifth starter’s job.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)