Mar 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Wigginton was released by the Cardinals last season just 58 plate appearances into a two-year, $5 million contract and failed to latch on anywhere else before joining the Marlins in January. He struggled again this spring, going 5-for-34, and at age 36 he no longer really even brings any defensive versatility to the table as a bench player.
Wigginton had a helluva run considering his obvious weaknesses, playing 12 seasons in the majors despite not becoming a regular until at age 25 and not being an above-average hitter since 2009. He’s earned nearly $25 million.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 28
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 172
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)