Mar 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Wigginton was released by the Cardinals last season just 58 plate appearances into a two-year, $5 million contract and failed to latch on anywhere else before joining the Marlins in January. He struggled again this spring, going 5-for-34, and at age 36 he no longer really even brings any defensive versatility to the table as a bench player.
Wigginton had a helluva run considering his obvious weaknesses, playing 12 seasons in the majors despite not becoming a regular until at age 25 and not being an above-average hitter since 2009. He’s earned nearly $25 million.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 74
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (75)