Mar 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Wigginton was released by the Cardinals last season just 58 plate appearances into a two-year, $5 million contract and failed to latch on anywhere else before joining the Marlins in January. He struggled again this spring, going 5-for-34, and at age 36 he no longer really even brings any defensive versatility to the table as a bench player.
Wigginton had a helluva run considering his obvious weaknesses, playing 12 seasons in the majors despite not becoming a regular until at age 25 and not being an above-average hitter since 2009. He’s earned nearly $25 million.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 9
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)