Mar 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Wigginton was released by the Cardinals last season just 58 plate appearances into a two-year, $5 million contract and failed to latch on anywhere else before joining the Marlins in January. He struggled again this spring, going 5-for-34, and at age 36 he no longer really even brings any defensive versatility to the table as a bench player.
Wigginton had a helluva run considering his obvious weaknesses, playing 12 seasons in the majors despite not becoming a regular until at age 25 and not being an above-average hitter since 2009. He’s earned nearly $25 million.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 15
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 74
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)