Marlins release Ty Wigginton

Mar 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v St. Louis Cardinals Getty Images

This might be the end of the line for Ty Wigginton, who was released by the Marlins after failing to make the team on a minor-league contract.

Wigginton was released by the Cardinals last season just 58 plate appearances into a two-year, $5 million contract and failed to latch on anywhere else before joining the Marlins in January. He struggled again this spring, going 5-for-34, and at age 36 he no longer really even brings any defensive versatility to the table as a bench player.

Wigginton had a helluva run considering his obvious weaknesses, playing 12 seasons in the majors despite not becoming a regular until at age 25 and not being an above-average hitter since 2009. He’s earned nearly $25 million.

Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.

1. perryt200 - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I still remember that base running play where he came in from second base for the Cards. Good heads up ball.

Also I never knew his career had paid that well. Good for him.

2. historiophiliac - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM

No Frenchy? No Wigginton? I don’t even know baseball anymore.

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Frenchy put up respectable ST stats this past month. Whereas Wigginton is prolly played out, I would not be surprised to see the perennial Francouer popping up again in a nearby ballpark – understanding, of couers, that in this jet age “nearby” could mean Fukuoka…..

• renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Could you possibly mean the Fukuoka Softbank Hawks Old gator?

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Well, until a professional outdoor Go league forms, they’re the only game in town. But hey, let’s go down to the river on Nakasu and hit those yakitori stands until the season starts!

• renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Yeah !! Count me in, I heard there B-Kyu meals there made by the players!!……….. What am i talkin.. It’s freakin impossible for an average working Student like me To Travel Hundreds of Miles just for that.

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Get a discount J-Rail Shinkansen pass – the Kodomi gets you there within about forty minutes of the Nozomi if you’re starting out at Tokyo Central, by the Gojira statue. I can take you to the best little Yaki stalls – whenever I visit Fukuoka (usually en route to some peace conference or other at the Nagasaki A-Bomb museum) I need to be carried back to my hotel in a wheelbarrow after an evening of going from stall to stall. Dear Buddha, forgive the unchained carnivore within!

• renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Wow That’s awesome Old Gator! So you’ve been to Japan before? Well I was just a little bewildered with your last sentence though XD.

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Been to Japan several times. First time as a tourist – doin’ that yuppie “gotta eat sushi at the Tokyo fish market” thing. Subsequently, as a delegate to conferences on the 60th anniversary of the atomic bombings. A few years later I went back to do some research on the films of Kurosawa, Imamura and Miike and on the background to Mabuse’s novel Black Rain and Imamura’s film of it, and most recently to do some background research on the original 1956 version of Godzilla and other post-San Francisco Treaty anti-nuclear films and literature. I’ve been there five times overall for a combined period of about six months. Also been to quite a few ballgames – including one at Tokyo and, about ten days later, at Hanshin where the Giants and Tigers traded terrific extra inning 1-0 ballgames. I also find it kinda weird to attend Hiroshima Carp games where you can see the “bomb dome” just beyond the outfield scoreboard.

If you can’t make it as far as Fukuoka, though, I guess we could always meet in Hiroshima for okonomiyaki or in Miyajima village for some o’ those ultra-succulent roasted giant oysters….

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM

PS – are you living in Japan now? Whereabouts, if you are?

• renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:04 PM

No, I Haven’t been To Japan “At least not yet” but my friend overseas studying there says that Meals being served in the Baseball Stadiums in Japan are very good though.

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Yes, they are. I usually just get sushi or noodle dishes. Some of the stadiums have terrific yakitori bars too. FYI in Fukuoka that area that I mentioned, Nakata, is famous for being (a) the Ginza district, with the usual Geisha houses, bath houses and centers of horizontal entertainment, but along the riverfront there is a half-mile long stretch of small stalls with counters that seat maybe three to five people at a time. Each one has a different specialty or group of specialties – skewered meat or fish dishes, noodle recipes, soups, stews, you name it. Each stall has its group of fans who revere its chef or itame. When you show up there as an obvious western tourist looking curious, these people come over to you and strongly recommend their favorite stall. Even though they sometimes wait for an hour or more for their seat at the counter, they will often urge you to get ahead of them to try their particular chef – and will look happy as hell if you turn to them and smile and nod approvingly at the food at that particular counter. I’ve been there three times and all three times the same thing happened, and the locals are always delighted and amused. They never complain about your getting ahead of them; it makes their night.

Oh yeah, and the food is just freaking awesome.

• renaado - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I Don’t even know how To answer Back logically at this statement……..

3. Old Gator - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM

This might have been the most merciful thing the Feesh brainstem trust could have done for him. He’s been so awful for so long that, short of dumping a bucket of icewater over his head, there couldn’t have been a more explicit wakeup call. They guy was obviously a gamer, and I doubt if he could have tried any harder, but when you’re out of gas, you’re out of gas. I wish him the best of luck in whatever new career upon which he embarks now.

• historiophiliac - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:01 AM

What animal is the opposite of a Wild Horse? Like an ant? Ants are grinders — they work hard. Hmmm. Crawfish? What do they do? They seem relentless. I guess it doesn’t matter now.

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM

A domesticated gelding. Or, if you want to press the issue, a can of dog food.

• jwbiii - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Crawfish? I had crawfish and Abita Amber for breakfast this morning.

• historiophiliac - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Nasty.

• jwbiii - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Our traditional getaway day breakfast when visiting New Orleans.

Oddly, my wife’s first experiences with crawfish came in Oklahoma. My father-in-law taught in a summer program at Oklahoma State and the festivities always included a crawfish boil.

4. dowhatifeellike - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:03 PM