Mar 25, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Neftali Feliz was recovered enough from Tommy John elbow surgery to make six appearances for the Rangers in September of last season, throwing 4.2 scoreless innings, but after watching him pitch this spring the team has decided to send the 25-year-old former Rookie of the Year back to the minors.
Feliz gave up 13 hits in 10 innings, but also had a decent 6/2 K/BB ratio and reports on his velocity were relatively positive while still being a few miles per hour off his pre-surgery peak. He lost the closer competition to Joakim Soria–although perhaps it was never really much of a competition–and will now have to work his way back to the majors following some time at Triple-A.
General manager Jon Daniels indicated that the Rangers don’t expect Feliz to spend a lot of time in the minors, telling Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram that they want him to continue building arm strength. He’ll be used as a reliever, though, so it’s a performance issue more than a pitch count issue.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 110
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 71
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 52
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (115)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)